Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stang crashed / Heart crushed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stang crashed / Heart crushed

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

First of all, CALM DOWN.

Think straight. Its a car. Yes, a car. A non-living object that is no better than a computer, phone or garage door opener.

Do we love our cars? Sure we do. Just like we love the paint on our living room walls, our favorite shirt, and our favorite TV show. Hey, if that paint peels you repaint it. If your shirt fades then you just wear it at home. If your tv show is off the air then you get the DVD season...

And if you put a dent, large dent, or bunch of dents in a car then you get them repaired. If it cant be repaired then you get a different car.

Ok, I sound like an idiot... But the point is you need to remember that life was fine before the car and life will be fine after it or during its repair. The lives around you are still ok and many many cars and homes will pass in time, all you need to care about is those lives are still there during it.
WOw very well put. Seriously i agree 100%. In time you will be as happy as you were yesterday, everything will turn out fine, just dont lose your hair and be patient. This type of crap takes time, but it does in fact work out.

On another note, no, aftermarket parts are NOT included in your insurance claim.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+ 1000

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

First of all, CALM DOWN.

Think straight. Its a car. Yes, a car. A non-living object that is no better than a computer, phone or garage door opener.

Do we love our cars? Sure we do. Just like we love the paint on our living room walls, our favorite shirt, and our favorite TV show. Hey, if that paint peels you repaint it. If your shirt fades then you just wear it at home. If your tv show is off the air then you get the DVD season...

And if you put a dent, large dent, or bunch of dents in a car then you get them repaired. If it cant be repaired then you get a different car.

Ok, I sound like an idiot... But the point is you need to remember that life was fine before the car and life will be fine after it or during its repair. The lives around you are still ok and many many cars and homes will pass in time, all you need to care about is those lives are still there during it.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Glad nobody was hurt. Your Stang can either be fixed or replaced. Just call your insurance
and let them tell you. They usually tell you to get 3 estimates for repair and take the lowest
one. Im really sorry to hear about your car but hang in there. Everything will work out.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 AM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

Sorry your car was wrecked...that does really suck, lets face it. Nonetheless, perspective dude; as everyone else said, it's just a car. I know you really liked it, as I like mine, but it's still just a car and it can be repaired/replaced.

As for your questions:

If they decide that it can be fixed... how does this work??? Um, you select a body shop to fix your car. I generally shy away from the shops that the insurance companies select, because it's my opinion that they fix your car cheaply (in a bad way) to maintain their good relationship with the insurance company.
Will they take it to a shop that will be able to fix everything? Most good body shops can handle whatever you throw at them; they've seen it all before. What they can't do themselves, they will outsource.
What I'm trying to say is that except for a few things in that car that are still stock, everything else is upgrades.
How does this work.
As everyone said, you likely wont get reimbursed for your upgrades. If the car is totaled, see if you can salvage all of the upgrades from your car before signing the car over to the insurance company.
I'm a big mess right now and can't think really straight. All that keeps me from going crazy is the fact that no one got injured and no other damage was done to anyone or anything else. I would be pissed too. I'm sure it will just take some time to get over it; you'll be alright.
What should I do? Do I need to talk to the insurance inspector? Will they allow me to talk to him? If you haven't done so already, call your insurance company and tell them what happened. It doesn't sound like it was your fault; it was the weather. Yes, all insurance companies should let you talk to your assigned adjuster whenever you need to. If not, speak with a manager.
Or does he just take a look saying that it can be fixed for 10 grand and that's it? The adjusters will do the math, and if it is their opinion that the repairs will cost more than 50% (I think 50% is the magic number anayway) of the value of the car (excluding modifications), then they will typically total the car.
I'm all messed up. There is no getting around the fact that your car was nice and now it's not. But you will still end up with a nice car regardless of the outcome. Either your car will get repaired to your satisfaction, or you will get a check for the value of your car, and you can get a new one.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:39 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

he knows how lucky he is guys, he said so. go easy on him fellows. i would be just as upset, and i think you all would too.

ORIGINAL: cnapsys

The airbags deployed instantly and luckily no one was hurt. Not even one scratch.

All that keeps me from going crazy is the fact that no one got injured and no other damage was done to anyone or anything else.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 AM
01harleydude
2nd Gear Member

whats with everyone telling him to calm down? he doesnt seem overly crazy or anything, just a little upset his car is totaled. you guys would be a little upset too.

i highly doubt you will get any money from your insurance company for aftermarket stuff, uinless they were on your policy.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:30 AM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

allstate is one of the hardest companies to get to pay for anything, even when they are supposed. my father told me this, and recently a friend of mine has been havingvery serious issues with them, so it seems to be true.
Oh God...Don't say that...I had a sever accident a couple of years ago with a guy that only had the minimum allowable insurance by law...I still have to go to my insurance company and make a claim under my underinsured motorist policy and I have Allstate.

Course, when they totalled my car they gave me just under high blue book for it...I've been having trouble with the other guys insurance company since the start and had to go to Allstate to get my car totalled...So maybe I'll get lucky again

Glad you weren't hurt and hope everything works out for you with your car.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

First- sorrythe accident happened and glad no one was hurt! Second -I have State Farm and when the policy was started I made them include the 10,000 dollars of aftermarket body work in the quote. My agent added it and the insurance adjusters just added it and did not raise my monthly payment. I use the car for show and they were great with customers needs. Once again sorry to hear the accident happened.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 AM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

thanks for your support guys!
It's all I needed.
to reply to a few things above:
I'm not a total wreck. I do realize it's just a car...nonetheless I got really attached to it.
I'm thankful everybody is ok. we also had a friend in the back and she was ok as well.
the damage I'm worried about is not the body. it's the engine, transmission, suspension... etc
I'm worried that by the way the car looks right now... no matter how well they fix it and make it look stock again, who knows what other damages occured that are not visible right now.
As I said the length of the hood is half the way it used to be.
oil/coolant/brake fluid was spilled all over the Interstate.
It's definitely not something that a body shop will be able to fix.
The claim agent told me to call back every day to find out exactly when the inspector is dispatched. It should be before Friday.
I'll keep you guys updated.
Once again, thanks for your support
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

From your description, sounds like the car may be totalled? I hope it all works out for you, and again, glad no one was hurt.

Quick Reply: Stang crashed / Heart crushed