Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anybody Heel/Toe in their 5sp?

This is out of the 2005 Car & Driver GTO/Mustang Comparison

"Unlike the GTO, the Mustang has its pedals set in the right places, which makes matching revs under braking an instinctive task. When the going gets fast, the Mustang is obedient and gains your trust rapidly."
Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper2
Threeunasked for hints: (regarding street traffic)
1. Get the downshifting done before the turn if possible (I believe it's safer to do this) Again, this is just me.

Sleeper2
+1 - I've always driven like this, downshift and break before the turn (except for those rare trail-braking situations). Besides, if you're braking through a corner, there's less tire left for steering. But I used to just downshift without the blip, then brake with the clutch in. So I'm working on downshifting smoothly with the blip then brake, and then transition to combining it all into heel/toe.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I heel/toe all the time. Its actually easier on your clutch since it isnt slipping to match tranny/engine speeds. In a motorcycle, the effect of NOT matching rev's can be felt to an extreme degree, since the mass of the bike is so much less then a car to force the engine to speed up via clutch friction.

Just remember, the harder you brake, the less throttle you are going to have to use to blip, since in the time you shift,you have already slowed down substantially. If you are just double clutching (no brake applied) you will need to give the throttle a harder stab since you are NOT slowing down very much except for engine braking. The higher RPM you do heel/toe, again, the more throttle you are going to have to give it during the action to get smooth shifts. Basically, when you rev in neutral, you know it takes more throttle to hit 4000 RPM, then 2000.....so it applies during driving at the upper rev range too.

Oh, most of the shifts require about 750ish rpm increase I find, except the 5th-4th shift....which requires 1000-1200 RPM for seamless shifts. I'll have to pay more attention next time to make sure those are right, but 5th-4th is a BIG drop......

These RPM deviations are during light street braking, nothing hard.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

I heel/toe all the time. Its actually easier on your clutch since it isnt slipping to match tranny/engine speeds. In a motorcycle, the effect of NOT matching rev's can be felt to an extreme degree, since the mass of the bike is so much less then a car to force the engine to speed up via clutch friction.

Just remember, the harder you brake, the less throttle you are going to have to use to blip, since in the time you shift,you have already slowed down substantially. If you are just double clutching (no brake applied) you will need to give the throttle a harder stab since you are NOT slowing down very much except for engine braking. The higher RPM you do heel/toe, again, the more throttle you are going to have to give it during the action to get smooth shifts. Basically, when you rev in neutral, you know it takes more throttle to hit 4000 RPM, then 2000.....so it applies during driving at the upper rev range too.

Oh, most of the shifts require about 750ish rpm increase I find, except the 5th-4th shift....which requires 1000-1200 RPM for seamless shifts. I'll have to pay more attention next time to make sure those are right, but 5th-4th is a BIG drop......

These RPM deviations are during light street braking, nothing hard.
+1
Well said.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

I always double clutch when downshifting, and sometimes on wide upshifts (1st to 4th or 5th or 2nd to 5th etc). I mean Real double clutching, with the clutch out with the gearshift in neutral, and then revving, None of that rev matching with the clutch in crap.

Anyway, I've found it extremely hard to heel toe in the Mustang because there is an inch of deadspace in the gas pedal and you don't get much rev unless you push it far and hold it long.

I'm used to driving my cable-throttled Subaru WRX which has AMAZING throttle response and is every easy to double clutch and heel toe on the track, and while daily driving.

Hopefully my Brenspeed tune will make things a bit easier.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

I do it in my 240. Its a great technique to get down for use on the track