Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Default FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried the official FRPP Whipple (comes with a full 12 month warranty if your car is still under factory warranty and it's installed by an authorized Ford racing tech.)...?
The service mngr. at Downs Ford told me about it 2 months ago when I went to get my oil changed, and it sounds tempting, but now I'm reading threads on here about broken belts and oil "blowback", and that's making me nervous........

Also, excuse the noobie question, but will my exhaust sound exactly the same with a SC (with that bitchin' "whine" at WOT), or will it alter the sound of the GTA's all the time...?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:52 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

yes it is fantastic, especially the intercooled version, and yes it is warranted
Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I just installed a Whipple last month. I didn't have an authorized tech install it so my warranty is void...
The way I look at it, anything in the drivetrain that fails now really needs to be upgraded anyway so I'm not concerned about warranty.

I haven't had any problems with belt breakage. I did have a defect in the intercooler seals and had to send it in for a repair but that
was a problem with a small batch they had.

Oil 'blowback' is a problem with any ssupercharger or turbo install. It is not just a problem with the Whipple...
Increased crankcase pressure due to higher combustion pressures can cause oil
to vaporize and mix in with the PCV gasses. It gets sucked into the intake and can coat the screws and intercooler after a while.
It is a bit more of a problem with the twin screw and roots type superchargers that have the intercooler directly under the compressor. It still not good to be
burning that oil though. Even on a stock engine you are pulling a certain amount of oil up into the intake manifold. When I removed my intake and trottle body I found quite
a bit of oil in there just from normal operation.
I installed an oil separator on mine.

The whine doesn't come from the exhaust. You hear it coming directly from up front. At wide open throttle you can hear the twin screw compressor howling right through
the intake pipe. When driving around town it sounds normal because the bypass system is equalizing pressure on both sides of the compressor - it isn't making any boost until you step on it... I have Flowmaster axle backs but didn't notice that the sound of the exhaust changed at all after the SC install.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

MAN o MAN! you guys make me nervous. Just when I think I'm ready for the Whipple I read stuff like this. I hate the thought of taking a $28K super nice car and making it an unreliable "pia" b/c you have to work on it all the time.
Just how big of an issue is the oil vapors with the Blower? I'm planning to drive the car 100,000 miles but I need to have confidence that in 20,000 miles my intake isnt going to plugged with oil residue.
I kid you not that I'm on my way up to the dealer as soon as I get done typing b/c he's quoted me a good deal on the Whipple. But I'm thinking I'll need to sleep on it a few more days.
What about the Shelby, or the Lightnin trucks that have the Ford factory blower? what do they do about these issues???
Sorry for the rant, I just need my daily driver to be reliable. I'll keep you posted on the Whipple I'm off to check on.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure if I read it right, but it's only the supercharger that comes with a 12 months warranty and it's the supercharger that voids the warranty on the rest of the drivetrain parts. So let's say if you have 20k miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, you install a SC and your tranny blows up that money is coming out of your pocket simply because Ford and FRPP are 2 different companies just like Roush Performance and Saleen Speed Lab. I was considering getting mine SC'ed and did a lot of research on this-- ended up in Galpin Autosports general manager's office and he explained it all to me. If your car's drivetrain warranty is your concern then don't SC it. On the other hand he showed me his customer's 2005 GT pushing out 498hp at the wheels with stock tranny, driveshaft, u-joints... engine had stock internals as well or at least that's what he said and supposedly he had it like that for over a year and it wouldn't give himANYproblems.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:36 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I'm not saying it's untrue, don't get on me, but I wouldn't worry about the oil draw issue overly. It's not something which would affect or bother 95% of folk.
Maybe I've just missed them, but I haven't ever seen a single thread complaining of oil being sucked up into the intake on motors of our vintage.

As I see it, increased crankcase pressure is a symptom of tired/broken piston rings and/or worn cylinder walls allowing combustion blow-by. If you get to that stage it's well pasttime for a rebuild anyway.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

+1 for what Marcus said.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i've heard good things about the whipple, i'm gonna look
into this

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Many thanks for all your comments guys!
So far though I haven't bheard anyone talk about the NON-intercooled Whipple (about 400 r.w.h.p.)- which is the setup that the Ford Racing tech was trying to sell me.
Just like aclass, I want to keep this car for 100,000 miles if possible, and I just know that won't be possible with a 500 h.p. intercooled Monster (at least not without extensive revisions- different tranny, forged internals, etc.), cause I just love to "get on it" every chance I have.
400 r.w.h.p. would really be sufficient for me (remember folks, I'm 57, and will probably turn into an old fart overnight when I hit the big six oh....).
Anyway, does anyone out there have any experience (either good or bad) with the non-intercooled Whipple...?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

I'm not sure if I read it right, but it's only the supercharger that comes with a 12 months warranty and it's the supercharger that voids the warranty on the rest of the drivetrain parts. So let's say if you have 20k miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, you install a SC and your tranny blows up that money is coming out of your pocket simply because Ford and FRPP are 2 different companies just like Roush Performance and Saleen Speed Lab.

What I was told by the service mngr. was that as long as your car is still under warranty, the Whipple NON-intercooled SC will not void the remainder of your original warranty on any part of the car IF (and only if) it is bought at and installed by an authorized Ford Racing tech.
Downs Ford is such an authorized dealer- and they installed my FRPP about 6 months ago- which keeps my entire car under full factory warranty on everything for 3 years (just like the Shelby GT and GTH).
Rick told me that this Whipple package is the same type of pilot program, and that it was just recently authorized by FoMoCo, and is only available at those few special dealers.

Quick Reply: FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?