Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAXING

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
dirtriderdrew77
1st Gear Member

Default WAXING

i cant seem to wax my car very well. i have mothers. is the any tips to putting it on. i just hate covering the whole car in wax and it takes like 2 hours to do the whole car. please help me. thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WAXING

Be patient, and have a friend help.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:58 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

+1

Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

+2 To keep the car looking good and turning heads, it takes time. If you're in that much ofa rush tehn get the friend. Most people find it calming to be cleaning the car, takes them away from the things life throws at you. So enjoy the 2 hours it takes.

An extra hour to hour and a half of work to turn 3-4 more heads on the road as you drive by is good for me
Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

+1 to all the above !
Just remember to apply it in thin coats,if to heavy it will be harder to remove.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It takes me about 30 minutes to apply and remove Adams Butter wax.

ORIGINAL: dirtriderdrew77

i cant seem to wax my car very well. i have mothers. is the any tips to putting it on. i just hate covering the whole car in wax and it takes like 2 hours to do the whole car. please help me. thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
ClayBonics
2nd Gear Member

Use Poorboys, there products are great. Easy to apply and take off.
www.poorboysworld.com
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Is the drying time that fast? Never heard of adams butter wax.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Is this your first time waxing your Mustang? I'd suggest you clay it first(of course after washing) to remove any and all contaminants that, with time, have adhered to your car's finish. Follow the directions that come in the clay bar kit. After claying, use a cleaner wax to get anything you might have missed when claying, after that I like using Turtle Wax's ICE liquid polish(goes on nicely and doesn't leave a residue), after that(yes, it'll take three to four hours, if you're doing if for the first time) use a quality top wax that's carnauba based(although I like Meguiar's NXT).
If you're just gonna put one coat and skip all the above, I'd suggest(since you aren't looking forward to waxing) using a liquid wax and go in stages around your car(do the hood, it will haze quickly, then remove, do a fender, and do the same as with the hood). Liquid wax will dry faster and offer the same protection, but, here's the caveat, it won't last as long as hard wax(about half the lifespan, 2-3 months vs 5-6 months). Go in sections until done. Sound easy? With liquid wax, you should finish in less than an hour(make sure to use micro-fiber towels! They'll help remove the wax like no body's business).
Although I strongly recommend you do the clay, cleaner, polish and carnauba thing to give your car a lasting shine and strong protection against UV rays. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Just a couple things for ya:
Onlyapply to a section like half the hood, then another section like a fender. Then remove the wax from the first section; then remove from the next section; Repeat this process until done. I'm not saying you'll save much time but the wax you are taking off has dried slightly but not completely to a "dry haze" as if you applied to the whole car first. If you let the wax dry completely (like we didin the old days) removal of the haze will put swirl marks in your clear coat because you no longer have the lubricating poroperties of the wax for removal. You'll be almost ripping the wax off the clearcoat and not only is this going to show swirl marks it's more work.

The other thing I would mention is the detailers spray wax. There are many good ones on the market. Wash the car, sheet rinse, dry, then spray and wipe (with fine micro fiber) and you're good. You can easily do two or three of these quick waxes in between the full wax job you are saying is a big job. (If you can you should always dry and wax inside a garage)

Quick Reply: WAXING