Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a moron

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm a moron

Been there, done that... Last weekend coming backto Kentucky from PA... was doing about70 in 5th, went looking for 4th, found 2nd... yeah, you hope know one saw besides hoping there was no damage... [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Ok, let me just say i am seriously an idiot.

Im driving ona wide open empty road where the speed limit is 65. After coming from a light i just shift into 3rd gear going roughly 30 mph and a grand prix GTP with exhaust and im assuming a few other mods because it wasnt that slow. Now i didnt turn the bottle on or anything (thank god)... because well its a grand prix.
He revs and takes off, i assume his auto downshifted into second because we were going slow but i just stomped it in 3rd. He jumped about a half car ahead until my rpms finally rise and i begin to pass him. Now im at the top of 3rd, roughly a car or two ahead and i go to shift to fourth....heres why im an idiot.... not only do i miss fourth, i slam it into SECOND!!!!! Yes i know, i am a moron. The rear end starts sliding, the rpms are bouncing, and im about to **** myself. I quickly put the clutch in and slow down then put it in 5th. Now thank GOD i was not spraying at the time because i would have inevitable f u cked somthing up. I am very lucky i didnt...or did i? The car runs fine, smooth, idles smooth and shifts smooth. I still hope i didnt do anything to it though. Yes, im an idiot..............anyone ever done anything like this before?
studying the human brain and its complex design along with the nervous system and reflexes,id call that a human error, moron,? no
Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I've done it a few times as well..... my shifter is still not broken in!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217
Ok, let me just say i am seriously an idiot.

Im driving ona wide open empty road where the speed limit is 65. After coming from a light i just shift into 3rd gear going roughly 30 mph and a grand prix GTP with exhaust and im assuming a few other mods because it wasnt that slow. Now i didnt turn the bottle on or anything (thank god)... because well its a grand prix.
He revs and takes off, i assume his auto downshifted into second because we were going slow but i just stomped it in 3rd. He jumped about a half car ahead until my rpms finally rise and i begin to pass him. Now im at the top of 3rd, roughly a car or two ahead and i go to shift to fourth....heres why im an idiot.... not only do i miss fourth, i slam it into SECOND!!!!! Yes i know, i am a moron. The rear end starts sliding, the rpms are bouncing, and im about to **** myself. I quickly put the clutch in and slow down then put it in 5th. Now thank GOD i was not spraying at the time because i would have inevitable f u cked somthing up. I am very lucky i didnt...or did i? The car runs fine, smooth, idles smooth and shifts smooth. I still hope i didnt do anything to it though. Yes, im an idiot..............anyone ever done anything like this before?
this is the reason I don't drive a stick
I fear this might happen or worse
I write with my right hand and drive with my left (I know I'm weird)
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

One thing I would suggest you guys with manuals do is check where you rev limiter (not drive rev limiter) is set with you X cal 2. I would make sure it isn't set to high in case something like this happens or you just miss a gear I know mine was set to 6800 in the tune I lowered it. You guys with GT's I would think want yours setaround 66-6800 max if shifting at 6200-6300,maybe even lower (6500)if you perfer to be more cautious with your motor by shifting at a lower rpm.Iknow a member from this forum who owns a GT and was running a tune from SCT with his TI CAI and according to him he thoughthis wasn't even set with the tune from SCT, meaning if he missed a gear that thing could wind to 7K plus not good..
Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

That's why God gave unto Man the auto tranny.........
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

As long as the drive revlimter is set to the correct rpms there's no chance of damage to thiermotor even if they down shift as per poster or miss a gear.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Haha I can only imagine what was going through the other dude's head!

"Wow....that is one crazy mf'er...."

~Fletch~
Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Don't feel bad I've missed my share of shifts over the years, really sucks when I could have easily beaten the other cars. Losing a race to a miss shift is sometimes hard to get over. But, you will have another chance on another day to make it right.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:41 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

ive done it while racing in a gt500[8D] i did the whole "AW ****!" and threw it into neutral. i still won [8D] those g35s just arent fast...

Quick Reply: I'm a moron