Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says I dont need adjustable LCA for 1.5" drop...BS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Dealer says I dont need adjustable LCA for 1.5" drop...BS?

bmr adj panhard is only 135
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Take a look under any factory S197 Saleen or Roush (except the drag pack). They use the stock LCA's and panhard.
+1 been under quite a few. Maybe hundreds.
NEVER seen adj panhard or LCAs.
But you never know, maybe Saleen and Roush
dont know what they are doing.......
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: howarmat

bmr adj panhard is only 135
$135 more than I have.
I would have cut and rewelded my
stock panhard if I had not done the math
and seen just what a 3/4" drop resulted
in side to side. Wat too little of an amount
for me to be worried about.
Do these aftermarket Adj Panhards weigh
the same as the lead filled stock panhards?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They are heavier and thicker but help in stiffening up the rear. The panhard brace is a joke, you can reach up and feel the give that it has while under the car next time.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

They are heavier and thicker but help in stiffening up the rear. The panhard brace is a joke, you can reach up and feel the give that it has while under the car next time.
The OEM panhard is made of 0.100 wall tubing.
Its a compression loaded item and not much side
deflection in use. 0.100 wall is good enough for
a stock V6er. Replaced those rubber bushings
with polys and its mucho bettero than OEM.
Yea, I pulled my brace and beefed it up with some
1/2" DOM tubing. Its nice and stiff now. And with
the DOM being on top, it still looks stock unless
you really look at it hard.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

No adj panhard needed for 3/4" - 1.5" drop in the rear.

Adj LCAs are a plus for any rear drop for correct pinion angle.
I did 3/4" rear drop and no adj panhard or adj LCAs. The pinion
angle change was not enough for my whimpy 210 HPV6 to notice.
No driveshaft vibrations at any speed. Less wheel hop over bumps
under WOT conditions.
^^^^^ +1 here.

Opinions are nice, But IMHO, I like to hear from folks who have actualy done the mods in question and measured the results.....

My rear tire left/right clearance after Roush spring changeout (1 inch drop rear, 3/4 inch front) changed by 1/8th inch total. Pinion angle only changes by 1 degree (3*->2*ish) and fixed length aftermarket poly bushed LCA's will only allow about 1 degree pinion change vs. about 2ish from stock LCA's with mild modded v6 power levels (167-250 RWHP). So in summary I didnt need a panhard rod, (although a poly bushing set for stock bar sounds inviting) and fixed LCA'a from J&M will keep me out of pinion trouble..

SO....ignore the panhard rod, buy fixed LCA's and spring set, starting with Rear Roush's (which took me 15 minutes and a jack stand....) and Then check your own car and go from there if you want better results....otherwise you may be e-baying stuff.....
Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Chritaka

Roush and Saleen are only a 1" drop, when you go over 1" is where you start getting into steering/suspension geometry issues. This is why you see the stock panhard and LCA's on Roush/Saleen. Both companies do offer these upgrades though to "increase performance" and I believe the Saleen Extreme does have these included (it better for the price!). I went with Steeda Sports and my rear axle was slightly off, but I expected this. I did my entire suspension at once since I can't stand to halfway do something. The car already has enough wheel hop stock and will only get worse lowering, hence the LCA's. LCA brackets really help with lowering too. Car rides like it's on rails with zero wheel hop at WOT and actually rides better than stock. Go with BMR, CHE, or Spohn for your CA's, PHB, and PHB brace. I did all BMR for those myself with Steeda HD Upper Strut Mounts, Sport springs, and HD sways. You probably don't need the PHB brace or adj. UCA, adj.LCA's, or LCA bracketsif you're engine is fairly stock, aren't going to be hitting the track, road racing, or putting in a 1 piece DS.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

while his math may indicate you dont need it, plenty of real world experience shows otherwise.....my rear was out about 1/2 inch to one side. You wont notice any difference in feel but it is not within specs for our cars and should be corrected.
Mine was out 5/8" to one side. While that's only 5/16" shift it's way more than I will accept when I can center it for little $$. You can see 5/8" diff. 157db, if you would, do me a favor, drop the plumb bob string down off your rear wheel well and measure in to the flat bead area of the rim. Let us know what you have for measurements each side. Lots and lots of folks (including myself) out here have seen shift of 1/4-3/8"....you mention themath says .03, well that's as good as 0 yet the shift has been reported here over and over many times. Seriously, if you would, letus know what you get formeasurements.

btw, I'm thinking of fabbing my OE bar to current BMR adjlength and putting that back on.BMR with rod ends can make noise. OE bar seems plenty strong and since I'm not racing I'd like my bushing ends back on. (will be double thickness with fab as well)
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I have only heard that getting an adj. panhard bar is REQUIRED while getting a drop as your axle will be a little offset to the left. However, I have not heard that UCA's and LCA's are required. I will probably be getting a drop, PH bar, and UCA/LCA as my next upgrade. All from BMR.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

If lowering the car upsets the angle then raising the car should do the same thing. Back in the day we used to raise the rear ends with air shocks so we could fit those wide chrome reverse rims and tires on the cars. Nothing ever happenned to those differentials. In fact I still have my original diff ,tranny,pinion gears etc etc etc. Of course the chrome reverse and wide tires are long gone, So are the bell bottoms.

Unfortunately you'll find that a lot of the mods pushed on these forums are over kill.

Quick Reply: Dealer says I dont need adjustable LCA for 1.5" drop...BS?