Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differential oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: differential oil change

When I do Mine, I am going to let it cure overnight.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

When I did mine I let it sit an hour before before tightening, but after that full tightening I had an emergency in 3 hours so I had to drive it. It worked fine. I was nervous, but no problems.

As for mobil 1 and modifier. I strongly suggest you use the modifier. There is BIG difference in the mobil 1 before modifier versus after the modifier. its much much thicker and much more slippery. I too thought Mobil 1 would be good enough but after seeing the difference in fluid I decided to add the modifier.

Its your choice since you can add it later but I think you'll want it in the end.

Good job!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

When I did mine I let it sit an hour before before tightening, but after that full tightening I had an emergency in 3 hours so I had to drive it. It worked fine. I was nervous, but no problems.

As for mobil 1 and modifier. I strongly suggest you use the modifier. There is BIG difference in the mobil 1 before modifier versus after the modifier. its much much thicker and much more slippery. I too thought Mobil 1 would be good enough but after seeing the difference in fluid I decided to add the modifier.

Its your choice since you can add it later but I think you'll want it in the end.

Good job!
The fluid is in. I'll test it without the modifier and put some in later if it groans. I just wasn't comfotable usinga modifier I've never heard of. I am obviously not as coordinated as you because I tried to do it without the pump and made a major mess (Alaskan Valdez oil spill paled in comparison). Time to go get some kitty litter. After that, I was horrified that I wouldn't have the 2 1/2 quarts left to finish the job, and being Labor Day probably nothing open. The last pumpfull filled er up though(a little more oil on the floor but it wa a beautiful sight to see it start coming out of the fill hole).

Thanks for all the help, and I'll let you know how the lsd reacts. By the way, do our cars come with the modifier from the factory? If so, I will add it for insurance even if it's not making noise,
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Yes our cars have modifier from the factory, which is why its thick and gray and smells like a$$ during its first drain.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

haha, god i hate that smell.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Let me add that you're typically safe with any store-bought friction modifier, especially because we have a very common Ford 8.8 rear end. For a Jaguar or something, yes it takes a specific brand of oil thats hard to find. All modifieris doing is making your fluid more slippery, its the actual gear oil and its viscosity that matters most. The generic modifier that stores sell will do the job fine. I've used checker auto's Sta-Lube modifier in 3 cars now, always makes the gear oil gray, thick and smelly like any other friction modifier would have done.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Yes our cars have modifier from the factory, which is why its thick and gray and smells like a$$ during its first drain.
Smells really good when you get it on your face and in your hair (first try without pump). I even got a little of that crap in my mouth and one eye! Rookie mistake getting my face anywhere near that stuff, but I was working really close up trying to hold my finger over the hole in the bottle while slipping it in the fill hole.

Anyway, took a test drive last night. Had a little whir sound at firstwhen the autodownshifted, but that went away after about a minute (maybe the new oil just needed circulated). Got the new oil nice and hot, and could hear a very slight groan only occasionally on tight, slow turns. It was gone completely by the time I got home, so I think I have some improvement without the modifier, but I will be adding some either today after work or this weekend. As long as I don't hear any noise, you think I'm OK driving till this weekend? I'll only be putting about 50 miles on it this week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Sure, gear whine is normal and ok for the most part, but it can be a bad sign considering you didn't have the whine before. You can drive it without probs but definately add the modifier first chance you get.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Sure, gear whine is normal and ok for the most part, but it can be a bad sign considering you didn't have the whine before. You can drive it without probs but definately add the modifier first chance you get.
The 3.73 gears are set up fine, and I don't get any whine from them. I just have a groan from the limited slip differential occasionally during slow turns. That's what I'm trying to get rid of now. Ford fixed it once before (they have a TSB for it as this is very common). Ford's fix was a new LSD and modifier.That fixed it until the new gear install. After I had the 3.73's installed, the groan returned after aweek ortwo, so I had the installer puttwo bottles ofthe Motorcraft modifierin. That took care of it for another couple of weeks, but those guys used a lighter weight gear oil, I think 75W-90. Now I'm trying to fix it myself using the correct weight and higher qualityoil. Unfortunately, I still had the groan this morning by the time I got to work. Hopefully, a couple of 4oz bottles of the Motorcraft modifier will take care of it. I hope so because I don't think Ford is gonna cover me under warranty anymore after the gear change. I'll probably just live with it if the modifier doesn't fix it this weekend.

By the way..........go Texans!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

CrazyHorse0217
Smells really good when you get it on your face and in your hair (first try without pump). I even got a little of that crap in my mouth and one eye! Rookie mistake getting my face anywhere near that stuff, but I was working really close up trying to hold my finger over the hole in the bottle while slipping it in the fill hole. 1st **** film???

Quick Reply: differential oil change