Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must haves if a blower is added?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Default Must haves if a blower is added?

If I go with a blower I won't have extra money to put into suspension or tires right away. Has anyone run a blower with the stock suspension and stock tires? Everything is flat here and there is no such thing as a winding road so I don't need to worry about holding corners. Straight launches is the only time I will be in boost, what is a must have right away verses something that could wait?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Must haves if a blower is added?

People do it all the time. Get the big thing first and add on later based on discovery. I'm sure half the supercharged guys on here didnt touch suspension or tires until after.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

i know for a fact a lot of s/c guys didnt touch anything until after, because of previous threads like this, ^^agreed on above post, add other stuff later based on how it rides.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

save up and throw some drag radials on there, i think youre gunna need em....
Old 09-02-2007, 11:46 AM
explict
4th Gear Member

Your car will launch and shift very hard with a supercharger and you WILL want new tires right away. Loss of traction is a huge issue. after getting tires your suspension will be pounded on with that hard launching and shifting, ever just the acceleration your rear will feel like its in the ground. You will want to upgrade to something more friendly. JMO
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the DRs will be a must IMO... otherwise u'll get tons of spin...... I'd suggest in the future LCAs at a minimum
Old 09-02-2007, 01:49 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

My suspension was already done prior to the blower install, but I was running on the stock Nero-Zeros. They had a terrible time of it so I swapped them out pretty much straight away
I guess the suspension would have been fine though, it was pretty good stock.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Is there a drag tire that willgo on my 17" bullit wheels bc i love them and wouldn't swap them for the world.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I changed out my wheels and tires.prior to supercharger/...traction is pretty good....launching hard and spinning does exist...not as bad as expected considering my torque etc. I do plan on upgrading my brakes definitely....I dont think I will go DR's though.....some suspension mods already done...but as others have stated get the supercharger and other parts down the road
Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

At the minimum I would plan on upgrading your lower control arms and upper control arm with some good solid units with poly bushings. The stouter control arms and harder bushings will stop wheel hop and strengthen the rear suspension. You may also want to upgrade the very bad factory 2-piece drive shaft with a good one piece aluminum unit. That will take care of the weakest link in your drive train.

If you do go with a one piece drive shaft you will need to be able to readjust the rear end pinion angle. So you will need either adj. lower control arms or an adj. upper control arm. You don`t need both to be adjustable.

BMR (www.bmrfabrication.com)has some nice, basic tubular lower control control arms(#TCA019, $134.95/pr.)for a really nice price. They also have a basic adj. upper control arm(#UTCA019, $176.95)for a great price. The drive shaft is going to run $500.00 to $600.00 from what I`ve seen. Everyone seems to like the Spyder shafts($479.00+S&H)really well.

Have fun with the SC, and keep it between the ditches.

Eric

Quick Reply: Must haves if a blower is added?