Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver goes to VIR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:00 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default Car and Driver goes to VIR.

First, let me say I love my Mustang...otherwise I wouldn't have sunk so much money into it over the past couple of years. It looks awesome on paper, too. Where am I going to find this kind of acceleration for this kind of money?

It got glowing reviews, too. Well, all except those guys at Top Gear, but they hate anything from the "colonies".

So, this was a mind set a few months ago. I had my trusty 2005 Focus as my daily driver, but decided that wasn't enough. No, I wanted a convertible.

Long story short. I end up with a good deal on a Pontiac Solstice. Decent gas milege, convertible and I don't see a lot of them, so that's good. I wasn't expecting much. I mean, by Mustang standards it's pretty slow. Right?

Anyway, I usually take a windy road that has a lot of sharp curves and hills on the way to work. It's either that or the route with 21 stoplights over 12.5 miles.

The other day I decide to take the Mustang. I have to admit, this little Pontiac is far faster in the curves that the GT. I can actually feel the understeer when I take these turns in the Mustang. What's worse, I notice how nose heavy the car is and how much sooner I have to brake. The rear end feels like it wants to come out when you really push the car to it's cornering limit.

I was planning a bunch of suspension mods at one point, but now, I think I'm going to keep my money. My Mustang is a wonderfully comfortable car, but it's purpose built to be a great drag racer and if the mod doesn't help it in a straight line, then I'm no longer interested. I'm now planning on stopping at new upper control and better tires, since I already have lower control arms.

What's more, I'm reading Car and Driver and I see they did their annual "Lightning Lap" at VIR. Here are the results, a combination of times from this year and last year.

2007 Chevy Corvette, 3:03.6
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe, 3:11.7
2006 Nissan 350Z, 3:12.5.
2006 Mitsubishi Evo MR, 3:13.5
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 3:15.7
2007 Mazda Speed 3, 3:16.0
2006 Mazda RX 8, 3:19.0
2006 Cobalt SS, 3:20.6
2006 Mustang Gt, 3:20.9
2007 Mini Cooper S, 3:22.9
2006 Mazda MX 5, 3:29.3

I never thought I would ever say it, but Ford really needs to improve the way this vehicle handles!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...000-page4.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lap-2007.html

Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car and Driver goes to VIR.

The Mustang is a straight line muscle car

but can be modified for road coarse racing.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 AM
4mySon
1st Gear Member

You are using the driving discipline that the Pontiac was designed for as the basis for comparision. Why not compare straight line performance and then say "Pontiac really needs to address the acceleration of this car"? It's the same thing.

I do appreciate where you are coming from, tho. My Boxster in the corners was like driving a go-kart. That damn thing was on rails.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

According to this test by Car & Driver Mag. the Mustang GT placed 2nd and the Pontiac placed 8th;

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-to-30000.html

Also the Mustang V6 beat the Cobolt SS in the same test....placing #1 as the quickest;

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...stang-v-6.html

Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

The only cars in that list that can hang with the GT is the evo and corvette whichis faster. Anyways who really takes turns in real driving situations going 60-70 mph complaing about understeer while how much times do you just speed in a straight line with a big grin on your face. My point exactly.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

other than the clip of the v6(which never made it to the regular show)Top gear actualy liked the mustang GT
Hamond drove the GT and said he really liked it

oh well

on dry roads I've pushed past my comfort level and found the stang held very well I've taken turns at 70+ (only a few times the fear of cops is to great) and it felt like I was gona slide the rear but it didn't and after I was suprised
maybe my foot was just made for the car but I like the handling of the stang
Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I think the GT's brakes and soft springs let it down, it is nicely balanced(for what it is). Why didn't you mention C & D's VIR #s for a stock GT500? I'm pretty sure in was in the 3:05-3:07 range, which smokes all but the 'Vette.........................................
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It got glowing reviews, too. Well, all except those guys at Top Gear, but they hate anything from the "colonies".
If you want a car designed to handle corners properly 'out of the box' then I suggest you swallow your pride and look at the offerings fromthe colonies (even though the States was actually a colony, not the other way round) and also Asia.......
Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

The stock suspension in these car is garbage. But that can be easily fixed for about $1K.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

^^^Agreed

Quick Reply: Car and Driver goes to VIR.