Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Europe: Mustang going to be built here aswell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Europeanmustangfan

Default Europe: Mustang going to be built here aswell?

Greetings

I am a BIG fan of the Mustang and I'm going to buy one, but the import taxes etc are just insane ...

I heard Ford is intending to build them in Europe aswell, Rumour or a fact ?

(Not only GT, Also the base V6 etc)
Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Europe: Mustang going to be built here aswell?

i have never heard of that. Plus i dont see why they would. not because there isnt a market for it but because you just dont hear of many american muscle cars being sold, or made over their. thats like pugeot making cars here. if they do that would be awesome but i think its a rumor.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I can't believe that. With the prices of Gas there,only a certain bracket of people are going to even look at them, especially the GT.Remember, the price of the Mustang will still be massively elevated there compared to here due to increased build costs plus killer taxes and will therefore be fighting toe-to-toe with far superior sporting opposition including Merc's, M5's, RS Audis etc. The Mustang won't stand a chance in that company given it's build quality and retro chassis design.

Ford are dumb but not so dumb as to commit to producing what would become a European Spruce-Goose.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
kodos78
2nd Gear Member

Also, don't Euro cars get taxed by their engine size? That usually discounts American cars from being sold in those markets. Even if our cars get the same fuel economy as a pint sized motor it would get taxed far more. Basically, that keeps muscle cars out of the EU market. Though maybe something like a 3.0L V6 could be viable in the base Mustang. And then sell the GT/GT500 to the affluent.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

I can't believe that. With the prices of Gas there,only a certain bracket of people are going to even look at them, especially the GT.Remember, the price of the Mustang will still be massively elevated there compared to here due to increased build costs plus killer taxes and will therefore be fighting toe-to-toe with far superior sporting opposition including Merc's, M5's, RS Audis etc. The Mustang won't stand a chance in that company given it's build quality and retro chassis design.

Ford are dumb but not so dumb as to commit to producing what would become a European Spruce-Goose.

Ford are not dumb. Ford is dumb. There was nothing wrong with the Goose. Budget cuts killed it, but Howard went ahead with his own money to prove the thing worthy. Many of Hugh's Aviationdesigns were ahead of their time, including the one that later went on to become the U2.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

but Howard went ahead with his own money to prove the thing worthy.
HH is one of my Heroes, but don'tlet nostalgia muddy fact. Howard subsequently said that the Goose was an absolute Bear that flew like a brick walland which very nearly didn't get off the water. He said he'd never try to fly it a second time LOL
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

but Howard went ahead with his own money to prove the thing worthy.
HH is one of my Heroes, but don'tlet nostalgia muddy fact. Howard subsequently said that the Goose was an absolute Bear that flew like a brick walland which very nearly didn't get off the water. He said he'd never try to fly it a second time LOL

I have never heard that. I don't know what he expected? It was heavy and maybe underpowered. They used the same engines in most of his designs. Just more of them in the case of the goose.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Yea, I seen a couple of Discovery-channel type documentories and there's footage of him pretty much saying that he was relieved to have gotten the thing off the water at all and that it was just ridiculous.
The fact that it flewwent some way to saving his *** in the congressional hearings of course, so he had to get the thing at least 6 inches off the ground LOL
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 AM
FrancisC

I really don't understand Ford's global manufacturing/marketting strategy. We don't get the new Focus or the Mondeo west of the Atlantic, when clearly there is a market for it.

Focus: I see so many Mazda3's on the road here (same C1 platform as the euro Focus), and they're also the #1 selling car in Canada.

Mondeo: I think Americans love this idea of affordable luxury - things like the Chrysler 300. Automatically adaptive suspension! I don't think even BMW has that yet.

Ford sold the original Mustang over in Europe. I wonder why they don't do it again. Trivia: In Germany, they had to call it the "T-5" because a truck/motorbike manufacturer had the rights to that name.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

There is NO way the Mustang will go to Europe. It goes completely against what the masses in Europe like. They want 'regular' cars like the Ford Mondeo which is HOT over there. When it comes to sports cars they stick to Saab, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. The Mustang would be a horrible venture in Europe.... Ford has made some big mistakes lately and trying to bring the Mustang to Europe would be disasterous.

Perhaps a smaller engine V6 could make more sense, but I don't even see that being accepted. I've been to Paris a few times lately. While I know Paris cannot be used alone to weigh in how Europe thinks, I can say that you would never see a Mustang or any loud large engine car cruising around there. Its either a small regular car or a high-end performance car.

Anyways.... Just import one.

Quick Reply: Europe: Mustang going to be built here aswell?