Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for S197 - 2007 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams for S197 - 2007 GT

Dam-mit that sounded freakin awesome!!!! Love the sound of your car!!!!! Ive checked out the Kooks but dont think my pocket book could support them. Ive actually been looking at the BBKs with the cat'd midpipe. I havent heard much input on BBK but I have run their o/r x-pipe when I had my 04 modular.

My dad swears by Crower cams but Im pretty open to whatever works the best withmy set up.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Whichever brand you go with, don't skimp on springs (pay now or pay later, but it's always more expensive later).
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Well it sounds like rat has no problem with his and I have no problems. So now you just need to decide. As far as headers, I have heard good things about bbk.
P.S. rat..
Your carsounds great. Mine are very similar, but my exhaust is a bit louder.Again, sounds great.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

I have Crower Custom grinds, but similar to the Comp Stage III. 350 rwhp, 329 tq
Now that's how cams should sound on our cars! How much did they set you back?

Thanks,
-danny
Cams, springs, labor and tuning came to about $1800. I added the CMCV delete plates and went from 342 rwhp to the current 350 (350.2), but you'll lose about 1-2 mpg with that mod. I'm currently averaging close to 14 mpg in pure city (stop-n-go traffic) and about 18-20 hwy compared with 26/18 stock. (it's sooo worth it though!!)

Oh, and a note about tuning - make sure you go with a custom tune on the dyno. Make sure your tuner (the person, not the device, though I recommend SCT) knows how to tinker with the cam timing (electronically). Not everyone knows how or is even aware this is possible. It will make a huge difference in drivability and power.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

I have Crower Custom grinds, but similar to the Comp Stage III. 350 rwhp, 329 tq
Now that's how cams should sound on our cars! How much did they set you back?

Thanks,
-danny
Cams, springs, labor and tuning came to about $1800. I added the CMCV delete plates and went from 342 rwhp to the current 350 (350.2), but you'll lose about 1-2 mpg with that mod. I'm currently averaging close to 14 mpg in pure city (stop-n-go traffic) and about 18-20 hwy compared with 26/18 stock. (it's sooo worth it though!!)

Oh, and a note about tuning - make sure you go with a custom tune on the dyno. Make sure your tuner (the person, not the device, though I recommend SCT) knows how to tinker with the cam timing (electronically). Not everyone knows how or is even aware this is possible. It will make a huge difference in drivability and power.
Thanks for the great input rat!!!!Once I get my headers (which Im sure it will probably be the BBKs) Im going to check into theComp and Crower. Im currently running the SCT X-Cal II but would like to get my hands on the Livewire!! I already have a dyno tuner picked outwho does bad *** work with mustangs, they tuned my son's 02 GT with cams andgo-go juice so I know they will do a bang upjob. Got the labor cost covered and will be doing all the requiredspecs with the cams.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

I shot a video that gives you an idea of what it'll sound like along with a dyno pull at the end. I pulled the car into the garage (about 40 sec into thevideo)so it would do a better job of capturing the bass (it never seems to properly capture it when shot outside) All my other mods are listed in my sig below.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74062146976212
not trying to rag but 350rwhp and 329rwtq? isnt that kind of weak? Do you have ported heads?

I would expect more for the cams and ported heads. How is it that BBR got 406 out of their cammed bolt on car?
http://blowbyracing.com/video.html
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white07

not trying to rag but 350rwhp and 329rwtq? isnt that kind of weak? Do you have ported heads?

I would expect more for the cams and ported heads. How is it that BBR got 406 out of their cammed bolt on car?

No head work here (how did you get the idea I had headwork anyway?).How did the BBR do so well? Heads, custom cam (specs not given , hmmm?) and in the fine print "not streetable." <--- that in itself says alot.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white07

No head work here (how did you get the idea I had headwork anyway?).How did the BBR do so well? Heads, custom cam (specs not given , hmmm?) and in the fine print "not streetable." <--- that in itself says alot.
I didnt figure you had head work but I didnt know. Trust me if it adds hp its streetable for me. Love the GT4s though. Also ive heard that their shop car blew up the motor I believe I heard that. What do your cams pull to rpm wise?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

I too am looking into cams more for sound than performance. Most say thats stupid but the car is fun enough and I want the muscle car sound. Here are a couple of videos I found so far. Im thinking I want the Comp Stage 4's ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWo4VNUIHLc

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&plindex=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pA6...ed&search=
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
QtrMilePony
1st Gear Member

Rat, are your cams the stage II by Crower? I just put a set in along with the ford racing heads, but am having tuning problems. finally have it all figured out, but before we could get it all dialed in fuel wise, my programmer got a virus and locked up when downloading some info to lock out the cam phasers, so I had to send it off for them to fix it. hopefully wont be much longer.

Quick Reply: Cams for S197 - 2007 GT