Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for S197 - 2007 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
bazguitarman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams for S197 - 2007 GT

You are dead on. The stock block should hold 800 to the fly. I haven't seen one let go yet but I also haven't seen anyone push it past 800 either. I was talking about 'surpassing the cobra guys' in that 800+ range. I think some stroked combinations will be readily out that will produce the turbo cobra-esq' big nubers (800-1000 rwhp) These are the numbers I waa referring to the stock block.

A lot of guys don't realize what it takes to handle that kind of power. Hell, I have an iron romeo block and a very stout shortblock and killer heads and my motor wouldn't last at 800 rwhp for very long. Just because you have a built bottom end - you still have limits. The kits guys see and read about will not handle that kind of power no way no how. Hell, the pistons alone for those power levels will run you 2K.

It is farily easy to get a set-up to make reliable power in the 650-700 range. It's get really tricky after that and there are no garuntees even with the best parts when you are making that kind of power and pushing that kind of boost. Crap is going to break - just the way it is. Kenne Bell has been asking me for a couple weeks to put a prototype 2.8 HO on my car with a custom intake, meter, and manifold and run 24 psi. I have been hesitant cause I really don't think my motor will handle it even though it's built stout. I have been thinking I'm going to wait until I decide to put a Ford GT supercar motor in the car but I don't know if I'll evr do that either. I'm really happy with a reliable low 10 sec daily driver right now and it took me a long time and a lot of testing to get here so I'm probably going to just sit tight for awhile and enjoy.

I am going to turn it up for FFW in October just to make a mid 9 sec pass on a daily driver but that will probably be just for the day.

24 psi is a lot of boost brother. I don`t know if I would try that. With the right tune it`s do-able, but that`s putting a lot of stress on the rotating assembly. I could see it if I was running a billet bottom end I was 100% sure of. And was 100% sure of my block, but I would want to have it prepped out for it. Now all that is assuming the typical "wring it out till something goes south" test mule scenario. LOL

I`m assuming you have done a forged bottom end. From the way you describe it, I`m thinking quality. Doesn`t KB have a couple of mules for R&D? Or are they looking for an average Joe DD/street car for feedback?

Your motor could probably handle it, but I would pay close attention to how it`s balanced out. Run a very good damper and very good rod and main bolts/studs. Oh, and good head gaskets. It`s not unheard of to blow out head gaskets at that boost level. I bet it would be a beast though. It kills me how hard you can turn OHC motors. And 24 psi of boost at 6500 to 7000 RPM would be insane. With a stroked motor and good heads I could imagine seeing 700 lb/ft at that boost level and a conservative tune. Around 1000 hp. That`s just way too much on the street. It would be a bear to drive for sure.

Hahaha....I could see it going through your mind. I bet it is tempting.

Eric
Old 09-07-2007, 09:51 PM
05GT550
1st Gear Member

Comp cams with JBA Long Tubes is a good setup, and with a good exhaust the engine will scream!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bazguitarman

You are dead on. The stock block should hold 800 to the fly. I haven't seen one let go yet but I also haven't seen anyone push it past 800 either. I was talking about 'surpassing the cobra guys' in that 800+ range. I think some stroked combinations will be readily out that will produce the turbo cobra-esq' big nubers (800-1000 rwhp) These are the numbers I waa referring to the stock block.

A lot of guys don't realize what it takes to handle that kind of power. Hell, I have an iron romeo block and a very stout shortblock and killer heads and my motor wouldn't last at 800 rwhp for very long. Just because you have a built bottom end - you still have limits. The kits guys see and read about will not handle that kind of power no way no how. Hell, the pistons alone for those power levels will run you 2K.

It is farily easy to get a set-up to make reliable power in the 650-700 range. It's get really tricky after that and there are no garuntees even with the best parts when you are making that kind of power and pushing that kind of boost. Crap is going to break - just the way it is. Kenne Bell has been asking me for a couple weeks to put a prototype 2.8 HO on my car with a custom intake, meter, and manifold and run 24 psi. I have been hesitant cause I really don't think my motor will handle it even though it's built stout. I have been thinking I'm going to wait until I decide to put a Ford GT supercar motor in the car but I don't know if I'll evr do that either. I'm really happy with a reliable low 10 sec daily driver right now and it took me a long time and a lot of testing to get here so I'm probably going to just sit tight for awhile and enjoy.

I am going to turn it up for FFW in October just to make a mid 9 sec pass on a daily driver but that will probably be just for the day.

24 psi is a lot of boost brother. I don`t know if I would try that. With the right tune it`s do-able, but that`s putting a lot of stress on the rotating assembly. I could see it if I was running a billet bottom end I was 100% sure of. And was 100% sure of my block, but I would want to have it prepped out for it. Now all that is assuming the typical "wring it out till something goes south" test mule scenario. LOL

I`m assuming you have done a forged bottom end. From the way you describe it, I`m thinking quality. Doesn`t KB have a couple of mules for R&D? Or are they looking for an average Joe DD/street car for feedback?

Your motor could probably handle it, but I would pay close attention to how it`s balanced out. Run a very good damper and very good rod and main bolts/studs. Oh, and good head gaskets. It`s not unheard of to blow out head gaskets at that boost level. I bet it would be a beast though. It kills me how hard you can turn OHC motors. And 24 psi of boost at 6500 to 7000 RPM would be insane. With a stroked motor and good heads I could imagine seeing 700 lb/ft at that boost level and a conservative tune. Around 1000 hp. That`s just way too much on the street. It would be a bear to drive for sure.

Hahaha....I could see it going through your mind. I bet it is tempting.

Eric
Well I'm thinking if KB breaks it......lol Jim has a few mules but none with a motor to handle it as most of the mules and test cars are on stock motors.

Seriously, like I said, I have a stout longblock but that is more than I think it could take for any length of time. I have a torque monster now (the way I like it) and at 14 psi - I make 586 rwhp and 689 ftq... I went with a conservative 8.4:1 compression on this motor cause I wanted longevity so I lost a little psi for my power. With the set-up I have I'd probably see about 15-16 psi with a higher compresion set-up. But I built this as a daily driver to stand up for a lot of miles. It's a great feeling to drive 100 miles to the track, change my back tires, lay down a 10.50 - change tires again and drive home...

My trans set-up (AOD with no lockup or kickdown) is a beast and decieves the dyno. Though I show 586 rwhp, I'm close to 700 to the fly. Doesn't bother me, I have always been about timeslips...lol
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

and the original thread subject was ....
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

this was an extremely well written thread..thanks bloodymary for starting a post that didn't lead to that much back and forth attacks......i have nothing to add except, stock cams are capable of handling great power.......if i were you, i would invest in a nice v-trim fi for around 4k.......

keep us posted