Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded 07 v6 to 08 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Rouier
1st Gear Member

Default Upgraded 07 v6 to 08 GT

I had a Grabber Orange 2007 v6 that I put 24k miles on in the past 7 months, it was in pretty rough shape because it was my first nice car and first time driving stick. My friend tells me he saw an orange 'stang at the dealership so I went to the dealership... they just got in a 2008 Grabber Orange GT so I had to test drive it. It had 3 miles on it and I test drove it to about 8. I ended up buying it, there are a lot of little differences from the 07 to 08, and of course a lot more speed from the v6 to the GT.

They have a cool new thing on the mirror that tells you the direction that you are heading. The new bullits have a shiny chrome to them now too (I don't think it is solid chrome, just dipped). I had the cloth interior, and my new one has the ambient color(new for 08, kind of cool, lights up the foot area and cup holder) and leather interior.. pretty sweet. My v6 was ugly as crap under the hood, this 08 GT is damn sexy under the hood.

The exhaust was nice, but my dual magnaflows on the v6 were pretty sweet too. I'm considering getting the offroad exhaust that comes standard on the new Roush 427s-- I was considering getting the Roush 427 or Stage3 but I can't justify 48-55k for some stickers and a supercharger.. I'd get a z06 corvette if I was going to do that.

I'm not sure if my new stang has the new HID lights.. I forgot to look. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll see soon.

The 2008 GT feels like a whole different car than the v6 I was driving before, although the tires didn't want to spin or burn very easily (I didn't try very hard, I'm not going to abuse my new car, but I thought it happend really easily...). The salesman told me it needs to go through a certain amount of "cycles" before it lets you use the full potential of the car.. any truth in that?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Upgraded 07 v6 to 08 GT

Congratulations on your new car(although some members might get a little sensitive that you're referring to your trading of your sixer to a GT as an "upgrade"[8D]). Wow! 24K in seven months, huh? Does your GO GT face the same fate? Get a bus pass(or a clunker to tool around in).
Driving it "easy" during the first 1000 miles is recommended, but more importantly keeping it under 3000 rpms during the first 1000 miles will give piece of mind(along with proper warm-up upon initial start-up), if not anything else. Cycling refers to driving the car in many different modes i.e., city driving, open road & highway it allows the car's CPU to learn your driving style(although I'm not too sure that this is a certainty). Post pix when you get your beast and remember to give it a full detail! That means clay barring, polish & top wax with quality products JMHO
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

The sales men was probably refering to the "break in" period which really doesn't exist anymore.

That was back in the day when crhome moly rings where in and it took a while for the ring to seat etc...

The motors are built with such high accuracy now and different rings that doesn't apply.

Few things are...don't red line it for 1000k miles....the motor, trans, and rear end gears all need to settle in.

Try not to drive at a constant speed...like 60 mph...you want to go 55 up to 60 back down to 55 etc.

More importantly welcome to the v8 club...so much funner!
Congrats.

Edit --- By the way, I always change the oil at 500 miles then at 1000k then swithc to synthetic Mobil 1 at 5k.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rouier

I had a Grabber Orange 2007 v6 that I put 24k miles on in the past 7 months
WOW!! I put about 9000 miles in the past 6 months, and I thought that was too much ..

Anyways, congrats on ur new GT .. Waiting for the pics ..
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Rouier
1st Gear Member

My 2008 GT does face the same fate, I drive the crap out of these Mustangs but don't blame me! blame Ford for making such an amazing car.

I'm going to take care of my 08 GT much better than the 07 v6 though. I put a lot of dings on it, the clutch was almost gone at 24k miles, etc.

I went to the container store to get a container for my trunk (wouldn't want to drip anything in the trunk!) and then to abunch of auto stores and stocked up on some high quality "car care" products so I can pamper my new baby.

I was actually really dumb when I first got my 07 v6, I ran a metal shovel across it to get the snow off it. With my new car, I'll probably rent some heated storage for it in the winter.

I'll take some pics tomorrow for you guys. Oh by the way, the 11-piece 3DCarbon "Boy Racer" kit is on it's way, so i'll be the first 08 with that on it.

I have these (20x8.5 front, 20x10 Deep Dish rear):

I'm going to put them on the new 08.

The rear ones have a scuff or two, anyone know how to fix those? I had a tire on it that was just a little too small... oops. If I can't fix them then I'll sell them cheap if anyone wants them, I want to get new ones.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes, welcome to the v8 club
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the V8 club, now prepare to supercharge!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rouier

My 2008 GT does face the same fate, I drive the crap out of these Mustangs but don't blame me! blame Ford for making such an amazing car.

I'm going to take care of my 08 GT much better than the 07 v6 though. I put a lot of dings on it, the clutch was almost gone at 24k miles, etc.

I went to the container store to get a container for my trunk (wouldn't want to drip anything in the trunk!) and then to abunch of auto stores and stocked up on some high quality "car care" products so I can pamper my new baby.

I was actually really dumb when I first got my 07 v6, I ran a metal shovel across it to get the snow off it. With my new car, I'll probably rent some heated storage for it in the winter.

I'll take some pics tomorrow for you guys. Oh by the way, the 11-piece 3DCarbon "Boy Racer" kit is on it's way, so i'll be the first 08 with that on it.

I have these (20x8.5 front, 20x10 Deep Dish rear):

I'm going to put them on the new 08.

The rear ones have a scuff or two, anyone know how to fix those? I had a tire on it that was just a little too small... oops. If I can't fix them then I'll sell them cheap if anyone wants them, I want to get new ones.
If they're chrome, you have to get them re-chromed to get rid of the scuffs(since you aren't opposed to getting new rears, you might want to do so) and that would cost as much as new rear wheels(about $150-200 each to repair by a quality wheel repair shop).
Boy Racer kit, huh? Sounds sweet, keep us abreast with your mods!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

+1 welcome to the V8 world
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I would have probably done the same as you...good move.

Quick Reply: Upgraded 07 v6 to 08 GT