Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&L RACER INTAKE (too much)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: C&L RACER INTAKE (too much)?

Very easy install. I did mine myself. Check around the net and you will find directions on how to install the CAI, the tune and even how to load the tune from your computer to the tunner. Trust me you will not be disappointed but will rather wonder why you didn't do this sooner.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

installing intakes is really easy. just a few bolts, and taking off those metal bands and there you go, stock one off. it will take you longer to probably get the filter on then it does to install the whole system haha. i dont know if the candl's were really difficult to put a filter on butputting aKandN on myMRT was a pain in the @$$!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

What's the real difference between the Racer and Street? Which one should I get if no more engine mods are planned?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I installed my C&L Racer and Brenspeed 93 octane tune about 6 weeks ago. The only other performance mod I have is my exhaust, Borla Stinger catback system. It is a great modification, and I love it! The car no longer has the throttle lag it had at stock. When you hit the gas, the rpms are instantly there. It also seems to have much more power at highway speeds...i.e., in 5th gear. You can climb hills in 5th with no trouble or loud droning. It's also nice to hear the hard "SNIFF" sound when you punch the gas. Personally, I got the racer for a couple of reasons.

1. Racer was cheaper than street version by about $60, if I remember correctly
2. I had heard a few bad reviews on the aluminum elbow of the street version
3. If I ever get crazy rich and supercharge the stang, the racer would be able to handle it.

The install was easy, but with all car mods, take your time and make sure you do it correctly. I did have some minor concerns when doing the install. First, I am notorious for over-tightening bolts and things, and I overtightened the hose clamps a little so that the screw housing on the clamp was bending, so I had to back it off some. I had no idea how tight it should have been, so I had to learn. Another thing is that by the looks of the bottom of the heat shield, you'd think it was made to fit exactly against the inside fenderwell where the bolt is, but, in fact, there is a lot of variability in how it is actually seated. You find out that it doesn't make a difference once you secure it with the bolt and the tie-straps.....it goes where it's supposed to go. These things are very very minor, but when I'm doing something to my car, I get irritated when things don't fit exactly or are slightly different from the instructions.

Also, using the XCAL2 was easy as pie. Just plug in under the dash and let it lead you. It's a little costly, but the performance is definitely felt in the butt.

Oh yeah, after you order it, you will get an email requesting your car's processor code and a list of your mods. It is not necessary to list the CAI as a mod if you buy the CAI and XCAL2 together because they will be specifically programming your tune to work with the CAI you bought. Just tell them what kind of exhaust, transmission type and gear ratio, and any other performance mods. It's simple. Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Toad
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

What's the real difference between the Racer and Street? Which one should I get if no more engine mods are planned?
If you go to C&L's website, they have a very good article about the differences between the Racer and the Street. Basically there's no difference if they are the only mods on the car...both have verysimilar performance numbers. I chose the Racer because it's cheaper, it's made from ABS plastic instead of aluminum which should provide slightly better insulation from the heated air coming out of the radiator/AC heat exchanger, and it's lighter in weight. The benefits of the Street intake would be the MAF insert for running without a tune, stronger (made from aluminum), it has a place built into it for NOX injection, and it's better looking in my opinion.

I won't be going with Nitrous...if I ever decide to increase my performance by that much I'll go with a supercharger. I'm not certain you could use the Racer with a blower, like someone above said. Seems to me that blowers need a different setup for an intake, but I don't know for sure.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Toad
1st Gear Member

Sorry...forgot to post the link in case you need it...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/index.html
Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Toad - Greatly appreciated!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I thought I read somewhere on Brenspeed site that the Racr is better suited for high HP cars and you actually lose a little HP over the Street verson with a pretty stock car.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Found the write up.
http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/compcams.html

This is where we have been wanting to test our theory on the C&L 95mm Racer intake being a better option for cars with ported heads or aftermarket camshafts. We have always felt the Racer intake held no advantage over the C&L Street on a stock engine when being used with your average bolt ons. We have felt the larger racer intake although extremely better than no intake at all was at a slight disadvantage to its 83mm street brother on mild engines.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Toad
1st Gear Member

They have a dyno sheet with both the street and the racer intakes on the same sheet here: http://www.cnlperformance.com/images...Racer_Dyno.jpg

the red line is the Street intake, and the green line is the Racer.

Quick Reply: C&L RACER INTAKE (too much)?