Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Agswin

Default Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?

Hello, this is my first post and I am in the market for an 06 or 07 Mustang GT. I am looking at 3 or 4 of them on auto trader and a couple have superchargers. I drove a stock GT and it seemed to have a lot of power, so I wanted to ask the experts how difficult it is to drive a 5 spd with a supercharger? I have been driving manuals for 15+ years, but never anytthing with the kind of power I can only imagine a supercharged GT has.
The two GT's I am looking at both have superchargers. One is aSaleenand one is aRoush.

Are there differences ebtween these two? Do superchargers void the warranty even if they are installed by the dealer (as I think one ad stated it was).

Are there other parts that need ot be installed with a supercharger in order for the engine ot be able ot handle the extra power?

How does a supercharger effect the gas mileage?

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to some great information this forum.

P.S. I did search and all I have found so far is discussion about supercharger vs. turbocharger.

Ardi In Texas!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?

I prefer the Saleen to Roush just based on looks. That part is up to you based on taste. Both companies back the car with warranties as long as you don't modify the supercharger (smaller pulleys)or program. You can add a Roush supercharger to any Mustang and Roush will back it up with a limited powertrain warranty (3yr/36k miles I think). For this reason, if you buy a regular Mustang GT and add the supercharger later, I'd go with Roush (assuming you'd be happy with just the stock set-up, because if you think you'll modify it, the warranty will be void anyway andthere are better Supercharger choices in that case). Call Roush and ask them to fax you a copy of the details - there are details.

Since both cars come engineered for their particular application, no additional equipment is necessary - they're ready to go off the showroom floor, but it may be hard to resist doing your own modifications once you're used to the power. If you're adding a supercharger to your GT, then you'll also need/want the following (most kits come with everything you need):
whichever brand you go with, opt for the intercooled version
boost-a-pump (increases fuel flow under boost)
upper control arm to prevent wheel hop (you should get this anyway)
highflow exhaust
boost gauge
there's a whole laundry list of things that would be recommended in addition to these, but the list covers what I think are the minimal requirements for the typical 4-6 psi kit. It really depends how crazy you want to get.

Gas mileage is basically unaffected because under normal cruising conditions, there's no boost and therefore no extra fuel being consumed, however, obviously if you stick your foot in it you'll burn more gas.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Agswin

Hey, thanks for your help. I am doing some reading on this forum about the superchargers.

Basically I am finding used cars on autotrader that have a supercharger that are priced around the same as cars without a supercharger, so I would be buying a car already decked out with a supercharger. What I have found so far is one with a Ford installed Roushcharger, Roush rear springs 1" drop, Edlebrock adj panhard bar. I have no idea what a "panhard bar" is but I am assuimg it helps the car handle.

The other GT has a Saleen SC.

I guess what I have figured out is that if I want a daily driver with some extra HP, but do not want to void the warranty or track the car, I can go with a saleen or roush and be fine.

Do you know if the roush and saleen SC are twin screw or centrifuugial? I think I need/want twin screw right?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I don't think either are considered true twin screws, but I'm not sure about that. The Whipple supercharger is a twin screw. The "twin screw" makes it more efficient. That's what I was saying before about better superchargers - the Whipple is better than either Roush or Saleen. However, I do know for sure they are not centrifugal - that's like Paxton, Vortech, or Procharger. Centrifugals are the type that mount off the front of the engine and if you look inside you'll see an impeller similar to what a turbocharger looks like. Centrifugals typically produce less low end power.

If you're buying used, the warranty will be void anyway. The Roush warranty is good only for the original owner. You'll want to get a used supercharged car inspected by a performance shop to make sure everything is in good working order. Regular mechanicsand Ford dealers don't typically have the experience to know what to look for.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agswin
Hey, thanks for your help. I am doing some reading on this forum about the superchargers.

Basically I am finding used cars on autotrader that have a supercharger that are priced around the same as cars without a supercharger, so I would be buying a car already decked out with a supercharger. What I have found so far is one with a Ford installed Roushcharger, Roush rear springs 1" drop, Edlebrock adj panhard bar. I have no idea what a "panhard bar" is but I am assuimg it helps the car handle.

The other GT has a Saleen SC.

I guess what I have figured out is that if I want a daily driver with some extra HP, but do not want to void the warranty or track the car, I can go with a saleen or roush and be fine.

Do you know if the roush and saleen SC are twin screw or centrifuugial? I think I need/want twin screw right?
I might be wrong but this is what I've read
Saleen = Twin screw
Roush = Roots
Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Agswin

So you would deffinately NOT buy a SC car without a performance shop checking out the supercharger right? Man, buying a used one in another state will be more work than I thought. Maybe Ill buy a non SC GT and build it myself.

BTW, can you deffinately tell the difference between a SC saleen or roush and a stock GT? Is it that big a difference? And then, is it that much more of a difference between that and a Whipple or KB SC?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Also, since you're new at this, ask lots of questions and don't rush into a purchase. There's a ton of opinions on which superchargers are best, what to add equipment-wise, etc. After a little while you'll have a better idea of what would work best for you.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

If you could pick, go with a twin screw.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Agswin

So you would deffinately NOT buy a SC car without a performance shop checking out the supercharger right? Man, buying a used one in another state will be more work than I thought. Maybe Ill buy a non SC GT and build it myself.

BTW, can you deffinately tell the difference between a SC saleen or roush and a stock GT? Is it that big a difference? And then, is it that much more of a difference between that and a Whipple or KB SC?
BUying out of state when you don't have a chance to have the car inspected is risky. People don't put superchargers on their car to drive 35 mph if you catch my drift.

If you have the money, doing your own mods to a stock GT is the best route. Yes, you can definitely feel the difference especially above 3000 rpm. Where the stock GT stops pulling hard, a supercharged car just keeps going and going - it's a rush. There's about 100-120 hp difference.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

depending on how far it is I'd check into getting a mechanic to come along
Obviously you'd need to know such a mechanic already
or you could try getting the dealer to let you drive it back home and have a local shop look it over before full payment (but I doubt that'll happen)

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Advice - Can I Handle a Supercharged GT?