Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new GT or C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:18 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

Default new GT or C6

I still don't know for sure if they're gonna total the stang, but if they do and if the price is right, I might consider getting a C6.

How friendly are they to modding?
I know it's just an ls2 not ls7 as the Z06s but being a 6L pushing 400hp I'm thinking there must be something that can be done.
How well do they respond to mods? are there any superchargers available for them?
would it be worth it for ~40k ???
what do you guys think?
My heart will die with the stangs though and I'll still be lurking around this board no matter what!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: new GT or C6

They are great cars. If you have the cash go for it.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Sure to be collector cars down the road.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

i know that guys... how 'bout more power????
with the saleenator i was able to take one up to about 75-80mph
i know i'll want to mod that sob
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

If you are talking about getting a new 08 C6 it will have the new LS3 motor which is good for like 425hp +6 more if you get the optional exhaust. As far as mods there isnt anywhere near as much as whats available on the stang.

As far as appearance mods I find very little that looks good aftermarket wise. Maybe wheels and tires ans some tint. I would get the Z-51 suspension package which is better than most aftermarket set ups.

S/C wise I believe procharger and vortech make blowers for them. I also think there is a magnacharger (roots) blower out there. Although it might take a little while for things to come out for the LS3 motor.

On the big plus side is that Chevy is using the LS3 as there engine in the ZR-1 (Blue devil) uber-vette. That will be S/C and put out over 700hp. I am sure they will make that blower available aftermarket and that would be sick.

I love my mustang but if I had the coin, I would get the vette, although I would go the extra mile and get the Z06. Go big or go home.

Good luck with the decision.

Why not a GT-500?

later.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
cnapsys
2nd Gear Member

the Z06 runs for about 66-70k around here. no where near being ready to pull that right now.
but i did find quite a few 06 C6s for around 40k.
Now if I know for sure I can take that to about 500rwhp safely... I'm sold
How are the ls2 engines??? do they have forged internals? do I have to worry about a specific number to keep it under just to be safe?
any help is appreciated

still considering the gt500 as well. if i find the right price. dealerships around chicago still charge a 15k fee on top of msrp. and they're very rare
Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

The 6 ltr LS2 has been around a while so there should be plenty of aftermarket for them. Considering they are putting out 400 hp stock getting an extra hundred would be easy. I have never researched them extensively but I dont believe they used forged internals. Possibly the crank but I'm not sure. I seam to remember that most S/C kits I have seen were in the 6-8lbs boost range. Just like the stang keep the boost reasonable and all is well.

Also remember vettes are also lighter than the stang so when you add power you have less weight to push means bigger .

Just a personal opinion but I would scrape up the extra dough for at least an reg 08 with the Z-51 package (= better suspension and lower rear gear ratio).

The only thing I never liked about vettes was their interior. It is really no better than a camaro cheap switch gear poor panel fit. Never looked like it belonged in a 40K car.

For 08 they totally redid the interior and from what I have seen it is a night and day difference. Much better and if you plan on owning long term, it would be worth it to me.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Oh and in regards to the Z06. Drive one and you wont care what it costs. It is really that good.

I have a friend that is a mechanic at CarMax and they got one in here local with like 6k miles on it. Guy thought it had too much power so traded it on like a SRT 8 Jeep or something.

Brought it out to the highway and banged some gears. By the time I got through second I was in love. Tried to figure out if I could get a second mortgage on my house without my wife finding out. No luck [:@]. But someday, it will be mine.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I'd go to the Vette Forums and ask those questions to get first hand/real world knowledge
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

The GT500, if found for a good price, is a more usable car, and can easily handle huge power upgrades. 4 seats has its advantages over a 2 seater. The extra 800 pounds over the Vette though is the biggest drawback.