Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xcallII HELP. need some info

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default xcallII HELP. need some info

k so im about to buy an xcallII of a guy here on the forums, i saw it for sale in the FOR sale section. thing is he had an 07GT and i have an 05 v6. will it work? he reflashed his car back to stock so its unmarried. what else do i have to make sure of so that it will work on my v6. do i have to have it sent in somewhere so i can get the tunes written for my car? help me out guys, thanks

Cameron
Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: xcallII HELP. need some info

I would say the easy answer is... Yes you would have to send it off to SCT or a tuner to have tunes made for YOUR car. The tunes are developed in relation to the stock strategy that is in your PCM. You have to provide the tuner with that number, usually a sticker on the PCM. You also have to specify auto or manual, axle code or ratio, engine size, and current/planned mods. I know they offer the preloaded SCT tunes, but my understanding is those are generic tunes, with XCAL2 only holding 4 total, I don't see how it would work. Unless this tuner was full of preload tunes (like the live wire, from what I've read...) I would be wary of purchasing it. There was one person on one of these forums that did buy a used one and it didn't work. I have an XCAL2 and the C&L intake, mail ordered, custom tuned from Doug. I would suggest one of the many online custom tune developers instead. It would save you the hassle that WILL come. I wouldn't even try loading the tunes to the car, no telling what kind of damage it could create if it did load. If this is the only route you are willing or can afford to take, at the least, make sure it's the same year, engine,transmission, PCM code, axle ratio, and modifications that you have before purchasing from an individual, or you're doomed from the start.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

well i asked the guy if it will work on my car and that i was worried about that and he said,

"What you're thinking about are the tuners that are programmed with a company's special tune like Brenspeed or Steeda. I ordered this one from Jegs so it's not locked to a certain computer code. You can plug it right into your V6 and it'll ask you what year, engine and trans you have and make it's adjustments from there. I also used it to raise my rev limit, turn on my fans earlier and advance the spark a bit. You don't have to send this one anywhere as it just has SCT's blanket tune. I had an 07 GT with a manual."

i just want to make sure this will work.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I'd call brenspeed or someone to find out.

I'd just get a brand new one. The time, and hassel of this may not be worth the 100 bucks your going to save.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Al you have to do is call a tuner and then have them write tunes for it and load them into your device...you dont have to send it anywhere....I wouldnt buy it used though just get it new with the tunes preloaded....you really wont save any money and you risk fuking something up....have you read the boards lately and the luck people are having with used tuners.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

yes and thats why i was skeptical but all of those were ones that people bought from brenspeed and b ama so they had special tunes. those also lock to the pcm, the ones that come with just blank, or generic tunes dont lock to the pcm. when you order it just from sct with no special tunes, or buy it from jegs it works on about 50 different ford cars. the guy actually flashed his moms explorer for two days to see the difference it made, so as long as its not married to the car and u re flash it back to stock its fine. i did some research haha. eventually im going to get a custom tune from b ama but right now, and for the price this is the best choice.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

also if his pcm is different than yours and you go to add a new tune, you car will not start being so its flashed to a different pcm.

I think.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

it doesnt lock to the pcm tho,otherwise he wouldnt have been able to flash the explorer lol.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

You obviously have more info about it than I do. It's your money,roll the dice. It does lockthe PCM while the vehicle is running the tune. One you return it to stock, it allows you to use it on another car. I don't know about the generic ones, but the one I have will only let you go from stock to new 6 times before it locks up. Mine displayed 5 more uses, when I hooked it up the first time. I can switch between the custom tunes as much as I want. Might want to look into that. I read some where that it has to be returned to get it to work again, or cleared and reloaded with tunes, something like that. I don't worry about it, I haven't gone back to stock yet.