Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
traveller

Default RE: Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???

Drbobvs: :-) I don't plan on changing anything at least until after I head down to MMR this morning. :-) But... if I decide to get a little something from Brenspeed... If you happen toknow, how long does an e-mailed tune take to get normally? Is it really a full week, as they mention on the website?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Man they can email that to you in a minute. All you need to do is download Live Load. It's free off the internet.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I don't know what to set the A/F to. I know you can adjust it, and if I were going to do that, I'd first contact the people who made my tune and ask them what it was SUPPOSED to be set at for the tune and then use the XCAL2 to set it. If that didn't work, I'd again ask them what to do. You should read up on A/F ratio. I don't know all the details, but I think I've read something like a ratio of 13 (???) is too high. Also, you could use the Livewire software with your laptopto see what the A/F is and adjust it to bea little lower and see how it goes.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php Here's a link to download the program.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
traveller

Daniel60: That's good to know... I can send 'em the vehicle code and CAI type and they'll hook me up right off the bat?... Sounds good....
Thewarmachine: I think 13 sounds right... although, the MMR91 tune is already pre-set with all the individual settings... so that's why I'll head over to them first... I'm about 10 minutes from MMR anyway.
For all: If I have actually been running lean for whatever reason... have done any real damage to the car in the last 1000 miles? I drive hard... but not too crazy...

-Mark
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: traveller

Hello Everyone... First post here, but I have to say, I've been reading for a while, and all you guys are awesome!

Now, my problem: I've got a high-flow MMR CAI and a 91MMR SCT2 tune on my '06 GT. I can clear the check engine light (warning says "TOO LEAN") and within 3 miles of driving, it's back again. Not REALLY too annoying, but it's slowly getting there. How can I get rid of it for good? Thanks in advance, guys.

-Mark
Reinstall your stock intake and tune and see if the lean code returns. This will let you know if the lean codes were related to the cai/tune or not. If the codes doesn't return with the stock intake and tune, then the problem is likely the performane tune. I would contact your tuner and let them adjust the tune accordingly. The end-user can only make a/f adjustment for open loop (wide open throttle) not closed loop. Your lean code is for closed loop operation because our front o2 sensors only monitor the a/f in closed loop(part throttle). In wide open throttle the pcm runs off preset settings and not the front o2's. I hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

171 and 174 are not the front O2s, they are the rears. NEVER mess with the spark and a/f settings.......only someone who actually knows how to tune should be doing this...you can make you car go boom......LEAN is not good, get it fixed ASAP....the 171 and 174 are normally from if you change to an o/r pipe, did you do this and not tell us?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

There are three A/F ratios that can be changed with XCAL2 and Livewire (or Livelink...whatever it's called). You can change the idle A/F, the WOT A/F, and the mid-throttle A/F. I haven't done this myself, but I watched the flash demo that is on the cd that came with the tuner, and it showed those three options. Again, I'd probably never do this myself because I'd be afraid of messing up my car, but it is possible to do from what I've seen. Hope it works out for you. I don't like hearing about car problems of any kind, but especially computer car problems.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

171 and 174 are not the front O2s, they are the rears. NEVER mess with the spark and a/f settings.......only someone who actually knows how to tune should be doing this...you can make you car go boom......LEAN is not good, get it fixed ASAP....the 171 and 174 are normally from if you change to an o/r pipe, did you do this and not tell us?
The rear o2's are for catalyst efficiency only, they monitor the cats to make sure they are working properly. These 171 and 174 lean codes are because the air fuel ratio isn't at stoich which is supposed to be at 14.7 a/f in closed loop operation. The rear o2's can't give leans codes because they aren't responsible for monitoring that. The codes for rear o2's would say catalyst below threshold and o2's slow response.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

There are three A/F ratios that can be changed with XCAL2 and Livewire (or Livelink...whatever it's called). You can change the idle A/F, the WOT A/F, and the mid-throttle A/F. I haven't done this myself, but I watched the flash demo that is on the cd that came with the tuner, and it showed those three options. Again, I'd probably never do this myself because I'd be afraid of messing up my car, but it is possible to do from what I've seen. Hope it works out for you. I don't like hearing about car problems of any kind, but especially computer car problems.
Yes you are right but I believe these are the rpm adjustments for open loop (wide open throttle), not closed loop. Are you talking about 0-2000 rpms 2-4000rpms and 4-7000rpms.

Quick Reply: Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???