Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:04 AM
traveller

Default Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???

Hello Everyone... First post here, but I have to say, I've been reading for a while, and all you guys are awesome!

Now, my problem: I've got a high-flow MMR CAI and a 91MMR SCT2 tune on my '06 GT. I can clear the check engine light (warning says "TOO LEAN") and within 3 miles of driving, it's back again. Not REALLY too annoying, but it's slowly getting there. How can I get rid of it for good? Thanks in advance, guys.

-Mark
Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???

Check yourcai first.Might be a loose connection somewhere(throttle body)drawing airin causing the lean condition!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1, intake connections have been known to slip off often. Also check that you replaeced the PCV connection on you CAI tube. If all is good you need to contact your place of purchase, or get to a dyno.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 AM
traveller

Thanks Eleanor06... I actually did that about 2 weeks ago. Everything's tight. I read somewhere that the engine/computer might need about 200 miles or so to "re-calibrate" or some sh%t like that, but I've already put closer to 1000 on it in the last 3 weeks, so that's obviously not it... Car runs fine in general... slight lag when opening up full throttle from a standstill, but when the RPM's hit 3500 or so, the car takes off. Also, if it helps, when cruising at 70-ish and 2300 RPM, there is no response from the throttle for what seems like the longest time (as I continue to push what seems like a full inch on the accelerator), and then like a bat-outta-hell, it jumps to 4000 and takes off. Thanks again for any help...

-Mark
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

I would loosen the connections and snug them back then disconnect the neg. clamp to reset the computer,to
rule out CAI leak.But if thats not it look into the tune causing the problem.Or possible injector being faulty.
P.S Is the code LEAN for just one certain cylinder?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
traveller

Thanks for the input drbobvs. :-) Eleanor06, I'll mess with the clamps in the morning. As for the codes, it's the standard 171 and 174 TOO LEAN codes. I guess ifworse comes to worse, I'll head over to MMR in the morning andask 'em to check it... and pray that they can do it then and there. I'll be putting about 1000 miles on the car in the next 4 days, and would hate to go back to stock rather than worry about burning out the engine... Damn...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Why not just use your XCAL2 to change your A/F ratio?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 AM
traveller

Thewarmachine: What's it gonna look like on the XCAL2? I must select to program, then select the 91MMR tune, then look for individual settings to change. If I have the option to change A/F... what should I set it to? Thanks.
-Mark
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Why not just use your XCAL2 to change your A/F ratio?
Don't do that!!!! Get this thing checked out or just call Brenspeed and pay for a proper tune.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Get Brenspeed tunes and kill two birds with one stone. First you will have the best tune and then you will eliminate problems.

Quick Reply: Check Engine (TOO LEAN) after Tune???