Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Hurst shifter HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Install Hurst shifter HELP!

I'm installing the Hurst comp + shifter. Old shifter came out np, but hurst will not fit thru transom. Is there some kind of trick to make it fit? Like other people have said, I have about another 1/8' for it to fit. My 4' alum driveshift is making this project really suck. any ideas appreciated. I'm runnin out of daylight here...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Install Hurst shifter HELP!

My only advice is try angles you haven't tried. I also have a bigger DS, but after a while of twisting it finally went through. Just keep trying and keep angling it a little different. The point is don't get mad or frustrated, stay calm, look at what you're doing and keep thinking.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

drop the DS or keep playing
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

thanks guys. I have a friend coming over to assist. I used tacobills supposedly "no problem" install. What I didn't detect is that he has a little 6 year old monkey son to assist. What I would give for one of those right now .
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've worked this thing every which way but loose. It just doesn't appear to fit thru the opening of an 07. I may have to take out the grinder. It's soooooo close.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I've done plenty of them...
There's no way I can explain in writtinghow to angle it so it goes through but I'm sure I know what's your problem:

You're doing this on the floor and your jack stands are under your differential housing right? That means that your rear end (If I may say) is not all the way down. Therefore the d.shaft is not angled down enough for the extra clearence needed for the assembly to go through the tunnel without hitting.

This might not be your case after all but I've seen too many people try to do it with load on the rear axle.
If you have access to a 4 post lift (not a roll on) fine, it's real easy. If you don't, put jack stands under the body.
One more thing, the shifter goes in from the inside of the car.
I hope that'll help.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

A buddy just came over and we were able to force it over the trans support. It's all good now. Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Pascal - you are most definitely correct. the dshaft angle is the main issue. I think I have it nailed down now, but thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

Pascal - you are most definitely correct. the dshaft angle is the main issue. I think I have it nailed down now, but thanks for the info.
You welcome.
OK, now, take it back out and redo it a few times. You'll be a pro before morning. lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I can laugh about it now, right? . finally finished her up. one of the red bushings on the trans mount armfell out while I was trying to get the bolt back in. fun stuff getting that thing back in place. Got everything loctited and snuged down good underneath. took her for a test drive. throws are sweeeeet, but I'm feeling a lot more vibration over stock. it's super tight. going to pick up some rubber bushings to place between the shift arm tomorrow and another sheet of dynamat. should be all good after that. hell, if I don't like it I'll just get an MGW and be done with it.

I don't really get a woody by doing mechanic work myself [8D]. Specially after a 50 hr work week. I'll take it to someone with a lift next time I need something done that requires under car slip-slide...

Thanks for all the assistance guys.

Quick Reply: Install Hurst shifter HELP!