Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default Most quiet exhaust?

Hey folks,

I got my other post out there about how to do up the interior, and didn't want to go way off topic. So.... What is the most quiet dual exhaust set up out there? Both V6, and GT. I like the stealth approach, rather than all that noise most folks go for. Can't really enjoy a movie inside the car, when it sounds like you're sitting inside of a generator...Still want performance gains, but not at the cost of being obnoxious. The damn car is going to draw enough attention from looks alone when I'm done, don't want to throw fuel on the fire by having the car yelling and screaming all the time as well!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Most quiet exhaust?

hmmm....just not understanding this thought process. Movie in the car??? WTH? Sounds like you should have bought a minivan. [&:] Hooray for individuality however!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Think showcar, my friend!!! 5.1 surround will be cool AND have never personally been incar with it, so I think I will be pleasantly surprised by how it turns out. I've even been looking for a small tablet PC to use as my navi, something that could fit in the indentation on top of the dash. I'm just worried that trying to get a good exhaust will take away from my sound quality in the car. Don't want to have to blast my eardrums out to be able to enjoy my music.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Quiet exhuast???? Now there's a question I've never heard here on mustangforum. Most want to know how to get around having to run any exhaust at all without tripping any cel's . ex. How can I run open headers without alarming the cops or setting off any dash lights LOL!

Actually these new mustangs are pretty sound insulated. My exhaust is pretty loud from outside, but with the windows up and a/c on, all I hear is a low hum...
Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

You will sacrifice performance for lack of dbs. No way arounf it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I guess I can live with that. I don't plan on dragging or racing the car after it's done, so I guess I would just look for maximum flow for daily driving purposes. I just don't want the car's exhaust note to draw the attention of haters or jealous folks. Plus, I think it's cool when folks don't hear you coming, and you breeze right by them. The silent but deadly approach. Oh my god, no fart jokes please!!![sm=smiley6.gif]Quiet storm... that's better!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

take your car in for dynomat, dont mess with a tuned exhaust system.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Well, you will already get attention from the looks of the car from the haters and jealous folks. Bad *** sound would probably put them over the top. I have found, that even if the car is all dirty, covered with bugs, 9 out of 10 people will do a rubber necker when they pass me. Stock is your best approach for the stealth thing.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I hear the sound from GT takeoffs is pretty good. Needs to be as mellow as possible, but still provide better than stock response. This is in reference to dual conversion on a V6, by the way. I wonder if a fab'ed system could be built to be quiet and efficient at the same time... hmmm....
Old 09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Just keep the stock ones if your worried about noise. Weild some tips on it and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Most quiet exhaust?