Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speaker thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
buffboettcher
1st Gear Member

Default speaker thoughts?

Hey- Im looking to redo my sound system. I've got an Alpine IVA-W205 head unit and a stock shaker 1000 system Any recommendations on the speakers I should get? I was thinking Alpine to keep the system under one brand name, but that isnt set in stone. Also, whats the difference between 2,3, and 4 way? (thats what she said)
Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: speaker thoughts?

I used to be real big on 3 and 4 way speakers, thinking like most people, there would be more separation in the sound, and it would be more impressive. Well, years later, after talking with true audio enthusiasts, I think a great pair of 2 ways would be our best bet. Still don't really understand why, but most audiophiles swear by coaxial speakers. Maybe someone on the forums can explain why, or you could always call Crutchfield...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
buffboettcher
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input. I naturally thought 4 must be better that 3 which is better than 2. any brand reccomendation or just go with alpine?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Speakers are very personal, some people like lots of highs, others lows, etc. I love Polks.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I think the 2,3 and 4 way he is referring too is the number of crossover points. I personally have a 4 way setup in my 07 GT. The biggest reason for it is for driver efficiency, anotherwords I can load more power into the same speaker as long as it's driving a more narrow band, you can get louder cleaner sound with much less distortion since the speaker is working less hard. As far as Coaxial speakers are concerned Audiophiles like them since they minimize reflection points from multiple locations.For instance having the tweeters in the pillars and the mid basses in the doors can create bright and weak spots throughtout the car, hence the term sweet spot. If the midrange and tweeter are superimposed over one another such as a coaxial driver you will get more accurate time respone from speakers to listener, likewise if the right channel and left channel are the same distance apartthe soundstage and imaging willsound better.That's where the RTA (Real Time Analyzer) comes into play, it can detect milliseconds in delay from left to right and tell you exaclty what frequency is bright or dull. The biggest thing to kep in mind is each listeners preference, I have had cars that were 40's in the RTA (the best you can get), that sounded horrible to me, but it was perfectly matched balanced from 20-20KHZ at the point the tech placed the microphone.

I personally run 2 JLAudio 10W7's, 2sets of Boston PRO60's, 1 set in the door (coax) 1 set in the kicks (coax) that I can run by themselves for SQ+ competitions.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I'm a huge fan of the Infinity Kappa Series.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I like mids and highs, so now, should I go back to my original view, and get 3-4way speakers? I'm also looking at doing 5.1 car theater, with a center channel in the dash below a 1 Jensen VM9512, or dual XDVD8185. Would that setup have any bearing on which way I should go with 2/3/4way speakers???
Old 09-14-2007, 01:04 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

I would stay away from the 3 way speakers that are on the market if you want true sound quality. Instead do a 3 way setup where you have 2 amps, 1 for the subs, 1 for the mids/tweets. All of the component setups on the market out there come with a 2 way crossover network, this gives you the 3 way setup. Add another amp (3 AMPS) and you get a true 4 way setup like me. This will sound 100X better than just buying a speaker that has 3/4 drivers mounted on it and going to 1*50 watt channel on the amp. Yes I have a 4.1 setup for my ride (no dedicated center channel).
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

I'm a huge fan of the Infinity Kappa Series.
+1

Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I'd definitely be going with a separate amp for the doors, and one for the sub. Not looking for comp level sound, but great quality on a budget is something I'm shooting for. I'm worried about the feedback from the built in BT mic on the radio, since it will be mounted right above the 1 din center channel...[&o]

Quick Reply: speaker thoughts?