Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 mustang GT Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 07 mustang GT Trans Problems

If it is driping where the driveshaft attaches, and isn't blowing back to that point, it is the rear seal. Not hard to replace at all.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

it is the rear seal, but the thing is i just had it replaced under warranty wednesday and today its leaking again...
Old 09-14-2007, 04:45 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

and i refuse to get under my car when its this new, i normally do all the work to my cars but when its this new, the dealer can handle this...why should more money come out of my wallet when its under warranty.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TimeForPain
also, the oil is very thick, so im thinking it cant be motor oil, the motor oil is 5w20 right? and thats pretty thin, isnt the tranny fluid pretty thick?
Both tranys calls for ATF (alot of high proformance sticks call for ATF)
atf is usualy a reddish color (unless its RP)
some leaks may drip from a place other than the point of leak (they run along the contours of the surface)
you can only be sure of the leak location after cleaning all the oil that has leaked

I might be wrong about it being motor oil (take a white paper or cloth and press it on the spot on the floor to be sure of the fluid color)
I would also find a dealer that has more experiance
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't work on it myself. You misunderstand. I did replace one in a 69 Fastback I once owned though. Let the tech get his hands dirty.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

Thats what i did, i cleaned where it was leaking and when i came looked it was in the same spot, then cleaned it again and the spot returned... now that i think about it, the color was more of a redish color and not brown, plus i just ran in the garage duriing my last post to see lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:53 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

I know what u meant, sorry i didnt mean for it the way it sounded... didnt mean it in an ignorant way, but at least u know what im talking about.

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I wouldn't work on it myself. You misunderstand. I did replace one in a 69 Fastback I once owned though. Let the tech get his hands dirty.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

So this car has been out since 05, has this been brought up at all? anyone have this happen to u?? Im starting to think that my car was made to **** me off... lol. Well what can cause this to happen??
Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TimeForPain

its a manual and its only got 2000 miles on it. Now that the cars got some miles on it, i dont drive an old lady but i dont beat the car at all...... very fustrating especailly on a new car. But i am gonna do the t-56 swap in the future too.
this has nothing to do with your leaks but it's something you should know as a new owner. Ford had the stupidity to bolt the shifter to the body on the s197 mustangs, as opposed to bolting it to the top of the trans like anyone else would have. So when you're really on it, the trans torques to the side and the shifter stays straight up and down. The offset causedby this results in missed shifts and stresses the trans internals. Trust me, I destroyed my second gear in only 3 months and 3500 miles. The solution is the che kmember brace and torque limiters, about $190 shipped and easily installed with hand tools, although you'll need a torque wrench to finish the job. It'll keep the trans nice and straight under the shifter and prevent missed shifts at redline and WOT (I missed/grinded second gear so many friggin times). IMO this is one of the first mods a new s197 owner should do.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:16 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

Well ill have to look into that then, but as far as missing gears..... I have gotten on the car somewhat and a few redline shifts and havent messed any gears and havent grinded any.... all though i do see your point with the flexing. If thats the case they should recall all these cars then, these cars are meant to be driven right out the factory right...... so if thats the case, ehy would they do something stupid like this.. Oh well Fords gonna still have to fix the leak regardless now. Hey u gotta link i can look at for the k member and setup your talking about?

Quick Reply: 07 mustang GT Trans Problems