Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Fuel Pump TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Question on Fuel Pump TSB

So we took a little cruise yesterday down toward Newport Beach / Fashion Island...Never seen so many Porsches and M5's in all my life. Felt like the ugly red-headed stepchild.....Anyway....

On the way home, sat at a steady 70 MPH for about 20 minutes or so. Let off to merge lanes, needed to jump on her a bit, and she fell flat on her face for a second....[:@][:@] Second time in about 9 months, but I don't do a bunch of freeway miles....But it's time to get the fuel pump taken care of. Should I go the safe route and pull the CAI and tune when I take her in? Any way they can squawk about taking care of this TSB if they are still installed?? Looking for folks that have had this taken care of already....Any other noticable difference in your ride, besides the obvious lack of hesitation??

Thx,
Mike

Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question on Fuel Pump TSB

Thats exaclty what mine was doing. Drop it to 4th give it gas and bam. Big hesitation. I haven't had the problem since I changed the pumps. Depending on what dealer you go to the intake shouldn't be a problem. But some may give you a hard time.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Mine would do it when coming to a stop after a long cruise. I'd hit the gas and let out the clutch like normal and it would stuble then bam! it would kick in and felt like something was going to break. It looked like I didn't know how to drive astick i'm sure. Sorry, i never had the tsb done. I had bought a ford GT pump to replace the stock one, but never got around to it.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:41 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'd put the stock cai + tune in and take her
to the stealership. i hate to think of all the road
testing that is gonna be done, but that can't
be avoided

there won't be any performance improvement with
the revised fuel pump, just no more hesitation.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:23 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i'd put the stock cai + tune in and take her
to the stealership. i hate to think of all the road
testing that is gonna be done, but that can't
be avoided

there won't be any performance improvement with
the revised fuel pump, just no more hesitation.
I hear ya on the road test....But, I have read on another site / thread that Ford knows well about this, and has it noted in their computer to take the customer's word for the necessity of the TSB, no road test needed....Prometheus, maybe you could confirm or deny this???

I'd hit the gas and let out the clutch like normal and it would stuble then bam! it would kick in and felt like something was going to break. It looked like I didn't know how to drive astick i'm sure.
Exactly what happened to me yesterday Moose....As a matter of fact, my son was in the back seat, looked up and said, "What was that?" I mumbled something about the F....Ken fuel pump TSB...My other half looks over and says..."Been driving a stick long??" I told her to shut up and eat her expensive cupcake........Kidding of course, no eating in the car.......

Thx,
Mike
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

If someone brings there car in for this problem I replace the pump as per the TSB and note that the problem was never verified. Don't really feel like putting that many miles on a customers car. So if there still is a problem we can go from there knowing that the pumps are not the problem.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

If someone brings there car in for this problem I replace the pump as per the TSB and note that the problem was never verified. Don't really feel like putting that many miles on a customers car. So if there still is a problem we can go from there knowing that the pumps are not the problem.
I wish your dealership was in OC........

Thanks....
Old 09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

we're only 30 min away.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I took mine in for this very reason. I don't do very many highway miles but have had this hesitation happen maybe 5 times in the year that I've owned the car. The stealership put 43 miles on the clock and could not verify the hesitation so they refused to replace the fuel pump. Like I explained to them it happened only 5 times in a 1 year period, what's the odds you're going to duplicate the problem. Seems like a big wasted effort removing the CIA/Tune, taking time off work and letting some Yahoo romp on my ride for 43 miles...all for nothing. I plan on taking it in again in the near future and hopefully they get tired of me and just replace the defective part. My dealership is a mod hater also, any excuse to void a warranty claim so if I were you I'd take the 10 minutes and put the stock intake in and remove the tune. Make sure they don't re-flash your computer as well.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

thats gonna be an issue for me since I bought the car with the cai, and now have 3.73's. Would be easy to put the restrictor back in and reload trhe stock tune but my speedo will be off.

Quick Reply: Question on Fuel Pump TSB