Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clayed my car! WOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Clayed my car! WOW

A few months ago I posted saying I was having trouble getting a nice shine out of my 06 Satin Silver. A few members suggested I clay the car. I was a little leary of the whole process and really didnt want to spend 60 to 100 on a ( Basic Wax Job, dont want to offend anyone with that statement). Today my daughter (6) asked to go to the car wash with me and on the way we stopped at Auto Zone for some supplies.I noticed a box called clay magic on the junk table, claybar was still sealed and the bottle spray was too, just missing the buff cloth and most of the box. I figured i would give it a shot ( It as only $3.00). I was just gonna apply it to my front bumper to get all the buggies off! Well one thing led to another and .........well tell me what you think!

After the Clay I hit it with ICE, two coats! I think it looks great and smooth as silk, no gritty feel!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clayed my car! WOW

[sm=Awwww.gif]Same color as mine. Never thought that clay baring would make such a big difference in Satin Silver maybe black or red. WOW!!!

-DG
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Well, to start, your car looks fantastic!! What a shine.....I just did the same thing two weeks ago, and also used the Clay Magic Kit. It was like 9 bucks. It does not come with a cloth....So you got a great deal for a torn box, and a great shine. I followed with ICE, then Turtle Wax Carnuba.....
Now you are hooked on self detailing, knowing what kind of a shine is possible.......

Grats,
Mike
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Looks real good. I might just try it myself.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 PM
cmj
1st Gear Member

Looks good, but I'm sure it looks better in person.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

I am sure this applies to almost any car, but with the satin silver, at high noon, the car looks like someone took 400 grit sandpaper over the paint! It APPEARS to have 0 shine! Morning and evening and even in the dark, the car shines like there is no tomorrow! Glad I clayed it and Thank You to all who responded to my previous post! I love this forum!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Can't tell from looking! You need to show us video of you doing the rag test. That's where you toss a rag across the hood before and after claying/waxing. Most of the time the rag will just fly right off after all the grit is gone! After I did my car it was hard keeping the car cover on while I rolled it up!

I usually tell people who have never used clay to just do a small area and then feel the difference with your hands.
Did you notice any specks in the clear coat and how they just disapeared after multiple passes of the clay?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

I am sure the pics don't do it justice. Great job. I will be doing mine soon.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Can't tell from looking! You need to show us video of you doing the rag test. That's where you toss a rag across the hood before and after claying/waxing. Most of the time the rag will just fly right off after all the grit is gone! After I did my car it was hard keeping the car cover on while I rolled it up!

I usually tell people who have never used clay to just do a small area and then feel the difference with your hands.
Did you notice any specks in the clear coat and how they just disapeared after multiple passes of the clay?
All I can say is I went through 5 microfiber towels, 3 of them slid off the car!The hand test before and after was amazing! I just could not believe it! Kinda like when I was little and running in a food store and turning the corner where someone just mopped the floor! I just sat there kept touching the paint!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I think this thread has confirmed something very important: Claying is better than egging.

Quick Reply: Clayed my car! WOW