Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s on installing stock GT spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Maul

Default ?'s on installing stock GT spoiler

My mother-in-law recently purchased a v6 convertible without a spoiler. She really wanted one so we got one for her birthday. It's a new, takeoff spoiler so it's already painted. I told her I should be able to install one but I just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice first. From the factory, they're held on by four bolts and 3M tape, correct? I've got all the hardware, but what kind of 3M tape do I need to get? Anything special? Also, it didn't come with a template. Anyone willing to give a few measurements of where it sits factory? My wife has an '07 v6 as well, with the new v6 spoiler. Looking at the underside of the trunk, you can see where the holes are located. Does anyone know if the GT spoiler uses the same hole locations? Could I measure off my wife's to find out where to put the others?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: ?'s on installing stock GT spoiler

As far as the 3m tape goes just buy the gray kind at walmart its about and inch wide or so and put it under each of the two posts. The GT spoiler uses 4 holes, two in each post and i'm pretty sure they are the same as the v6. I just removed my GT one last nite.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Pony spoilers and GT spoilers use the same mounting holes
spaced the same amount apart. They are interchangable 100%.
I installed one. Measure on at the dealership and its not hard
to get it straight. Trunk lids are the same for GTs and V6s.
Dont cover the drain holes on the mounting surfaces with
the 3M tape. Dont overtighten the studs or the trunk will
distort and look like yuck. The studs are not paralell from
one side to the other and you will have to take this into account
when laying out the holes. Use some tape over the mounting area
to mark the hole locations and double, triple check by dry fitting
the spoiler checking for proper hole placement. The holes should
be the same distance from each edge side to side and from the
rear edge of the trunk lid. The spoiler is rear heavy and wont sit
on the trunk without it being supported so two people is a plus.
Keep the #M tape away from the edges of the mounting posts
and it will be invisable after the installation. Too close to the edges
and the tape becomes a dirt magnet and looks bad.
PM me and I can send you some pics. They are too large for
me to post on the forum.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
LV51FER

Are you sure you want that awful spoiler on your car? Why not buy a pre-painted GT500 spoiler from The Spoiler Store for $150 - it fits using the rear two of the stock mounting holes so you'd only have to drill 2 holes and it looks about a million times better than that pedestal.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with the GT spoiler.
There is nothing aspecially nice about the GT500 spoiler either.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yikes, I've never heard of anyone adding a stock spoiler but lots of folks looking to trade even andsome will give cash plus their decklid for a SD decklid in the same color. SD decklids are like gold, can't see doing what your doing but ifappears thatyou are already committed to it.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Maul

Thanks for all the replies guys!

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

As far as the 3m tape goes just buy the gray kind at walmart its about and inch wide or so and put it under each of the two posts. The GT spoiler uses 4 holes, two in each post and i'm pretty sure they are the same as the v6. I just removed my GT one last nite.
Sweet, I just wanted to be sure, thanks!

ORIGINAL: 157db

me to post on the forum.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for! I'll be PM'ing you momentarily!

ORIGINAL: LV51FER

Are you sure you want that awful spoiler on your car? Why not buy a pre-painted GT500 spoiler from The Spoiler Store for $150 - it fits using the rear two of the stock mounting holes so you'd only have to drill 2 holes and it looks about a million times better than that pedestal.
Yeah, if it were my car, I'd probably go with something like that. 'Course, if it were mine, it wouldn't have been a v6. [sm=lildevil.gif] I'm from the other side of town, I drive a T/A. Love the new mustangs though. I've got a project car that once it's done and I get rid of it, may do a new Mustang or something. She doesn't care, she just wants a "spoiler."

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Yikes, I've never heard of anyone adding a stock spoiler but lots of folks looking to trade even andsome will give cash plus their decklid for a SD decklid in the same color. SD decklids are like gold, can't see doing what your doing but ifappears thatyou are already committed to it.
Before peeking around on here, I'd never even thought about that, but it makes complete sense. It's a 'vert, are their decklids any different? A friend has an '07 GT that's the same color (Satin Silver) but isn't interested in trading right now. I may make a quick post to see if there's anyone around close (SC)that might wanna do a swap.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maul

Thanks for all the replies guys!

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

Sweet, I just wanted to be sure, thanks!

ORIGINAL: 157db

me to post on the forum.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for! I'll be PM'ing you momentarily!

ORIGINAL: LV51FER

Yeah, if it were my car, I'd probably go with something like that. 'Course, if it were mine, it wouldn't have been a v6. [sm=lildevil.gif] I'm from the other side of town, I drive a T/A. Love the new mustangs though. I've got a project car that once it's done and I get rid of it, may do a new Mustang or something. She doesn't care, she just wants a "spoiler."

Before peeking around on here, I'd never even thought about that, but it makes complete sense. It's a 'vert, are their decklids any different? A friend has an '07 GT that's the same color (Satin Silver) but isn't interested in trading right now. I may make a quick post to see if there's anyone around close (SC)that might wanna do a swap.

Thanks for the advice guys!

If your friend knew 'the scoop' on this he'd give you $200 and his decklid for yours. w/o you he's got no prayer of getting a matching color sd decklid for his car.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I wish my car didn't come with it so it would havesaved me from welding the holes on the trunk lid. Before I even had the car, I knew the duck tail would go on that car promptly.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

I wish my car didn't come with it so it would havesaved me from welding the holes on the trunk lid. Before I even had the car, I knew the duck tail would go on that car promptly.
I hear ya. ...and while you had little choice welding the holes it is really not advisable as in a year or less no matter how skilled the welder and body man if you look at it just right it's almost guaranteed to show some signs of having the work done. Don't worry about that though, after a few years having it refinished again will pretty much eliminate this. (Because the metals are so thin there is some shrinking and expanding going on with temperature changes and the body finish materials, paint and clear have some curing and shrinking and expanding to undergo after the initial work is done) Generally changes are not noticeable but being on a top flat surface, if you have a dark color, inevitably something is going to show up.

btw, love the look of your car; and the color... well that's my favorite!

Quick Reply: ?'s on installing stock GT spoiler