Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some supercharger questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
RideCRF450
1st Gear Member

Default Some supercharger questions...

Alright, so as I type this there is a sexy polished Whipple HO sitting in a box in my garage. Right next to it is a Speed of Sound triple pod A-pillar frame, and three beautiful Autometer Nexus gauges...Don't ask how much it cost, let's just say those professional school loans went to good use, haha!

Any help with these issues would be great (not that it is going to sway me from installing it, just curious):
1.) The GT currently has SLP Loudmouths on, does the S/C require a better exhaust setup to breath easier? I don't want to blow up the engine just because I didn't have enough air flow...
2.) Has anyone put a rider policy on their insurance to cover theft/damage to the S/C? How much extra a month does it cost to insure the extra 6-7k for the engine?
3.) When in the boost range...how much is gas mileage affected?
4.) Anybody know a reputable tuner in AZ that won't charge an arm and a leg? AMP in PHX wanted like $900-$1000, ouch.
5.) Any other issues with install of any of the gauges or S/C I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

By the by...I will be selling my Midwest Auto plenum cover, it's Tungsten Gray and flawless. Also I have a brand new, never used, never painted, never attached Cervinis C-series body kit if anyone is interested. I can't afford paint so it has to go, or sit in my storage unit until I get out of pharmacy school in 4 yrs. If interested hit me up.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:29 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Some supercharger questions...

yeah it does look sexy, in the box, all shiny and all

good luck with the install, it'll be fun

Old 09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
05GT550
1st Gear Member

1)SLPS will be fine, if you want a bit more power go for some long tubes.
2)Not sure about the insurance but if you find out let me know!
3)You will actually get much better milage at cruise speeds, but of course when you pounding it you'll lose a bit, but youroverall MPG will remain right about the same as now.
4)Custom Dyno tunes are very expensive usually between $600-$800. Thats the last thing I would be cheap about, as it is by far the most important factor when heavily modding your car.
5)Did you get Wide Band gauge? if not, I recomend it.

Good luck and keep us all posted!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
RideCRF450
1st Gear Member

Yep, the gauges I got, thanks to the recommendations of MF members, was the boost vac, fuel pressure and of course, the digital wide band A/F. I definately want to protect my investment!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:00 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Wow! sounds like Christmas at your house! Congrats, also sounds like you got all the right gauges too. Good luck on the install.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

for the insurance, i dunno if its different in the states, but us lucky canadians dont have to do anything but get a new quote done by a certified mechanic for the replacement value, and if our car is under $50k we pay the same insurance.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:21 PM
RideCRF450
1st Gear Member

I am pretty sure it would be different with my insurance company at least. My baby was recently broken into and my DVD player, ipod, music, etc was stolen. My insurance company told me that because I didn't have the extra coverage, they wouldn't pay for these items. They did, however, cut me a check for $1000 for the dvd player, but they just said that this wasthe max that the company offeredfor electronics...oh well...I let you guys know what they'll charge me for the S/C.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RideCRF450

3.) When in the boost range...how much is gas mileage affected?
5.) Any other issues with install of any of the gauges or S/C I should be aware of?
There is no boost range. boost is instant if you stomp on the gas. If you just ease the throttle you'll never see boost. I'm loosing 1mpg on my normal drive, but that could be because i like to hear the whine. I would expect to loose some mpg even if you never floor it just because of the extra power it takes to turn the blower.

When you go to install the dual fuel pumps make sure the float isperpendicular tothe passenger side of the car, that should put the large arrow on the top perpendicular to the drivers side. Here's a tip, tire a wire to the fuel crossover tube that you need to reconnect to the new fuel pump. The first time I put the pumps in I couldn't reach the damn thing so had to pull the pumps back out. You can hook it up before putting the pumps in, but it just makes it harder to fit the pumps through the hole. go slow and push all the tubing inward as you lower it. Don't forget to connect that crossover tube.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RideCRF450

Yep, the gauges I got, thanks to the recommendations of MF members, was the boost vac, fuel pressure and of course, the digital wide band A/F. I definately want to protect my investment!
Good luck looking at any of those gauges at WOT. If you loose a pump or injector or something crazy like that which would cause a seriously lean condition the damage is probably done before you can look at your gauge.

I almost ran off the road trying to watch my boost gauge. Things happen fast at WOT.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good memories

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/4AE118041B6640FCB0B0DBFBF07E481D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Some supercharger questions...