Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst fix and Rev tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Hurst fix and Rev tune

I installed the Hurst Comp Plus shifter from Brenspeed last Wednesday, and I noticed considerable gear noise when driving. I read a lot of posts about this problem with Hurst shifters, but I never read any conclusive ways to fix the problem. I started reviewing in my mind the way I installed the shifter, and I thought that I must have overtightened the arm to the transmission, thus causing metal contact and vibration. That turned out to be false. The problem was that the Hurst instructions are wrong. When you remove the stock shifter, the offset is to the driver's side, not the passenger side. The Hurst instructions say to put the offset to the passenger side, so that's what I had done. I actually didn't remember the way the stock shifter was oriented before removal, so I looked at TacoSupreme's ( [sm=hail.gif]TacoBill ) MGW shifter installation post, and noticed his stock orientation was the opposite of what the Hurst instructions had said. I immediately went out and unbolted the shifter from the linkage rod, turned it 180 degrees (offset toward the driver's side), rebolted it (using blue threadlocker), turned the **** around and tightened, and made sure the dust boot groove was locked in. I took stang down the road....ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! No noise! I can't express how much I despise wrong instructions. Someone at Hurst should change this.

Just to be clear, the offset (long side of the joint connecting to the linkage rod) needs to be toward the driver's side (toward the linkage rod), and this will make the chrome shifter stick attach to the passenger side of the short shift rod. In neutral, the slight curve of the chrome stick should make the shifter ball lean backward a little.

In other news, I made a previous post about my cold startup revs being near 2000rpm, way too high. I got Brent at Brenspeed to adjust my three tunes so that my cold startup revs is 1200rpm (idle is still 800). I downloaded and installed my updated tune, and it works great! It's so nice to not have the car screaming out when you start it cold. Now,at cold startupthe tach shoots up to about 2000, but immediately falls to 1200 and begins it's sweet sounding grumbling, until the cats get ignited, and then it goes down to the 800 idle rpms. It's a nice adjustment that I highly recommend.

Here are some pics of the shifter after the fix. BTW, I love the short throw, and the ball.

And here are a couple of pics of my stang. She was looking good, so I took some pics. Enjoy!

EDIT: I can't believe I made this mistake, but that third picture should say 2nd Gear....not 3rd Gear. Wow, I can't believe I just saw that. Hahaha! Well, looks like no one else noticed either.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Hurst fix and Rev tune

the offset should be pointed to the drivers side, the directions state this also
Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

My instruction say passenger side. I'm looking at it right now. Maybe I got an old shifter that didn't have updated instructions.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yeah the instructions were changed but that was like almost 2 years ago i think, 12/5 i think is when they were changed. Damn that is old stock!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yeah, the posts I was reading about the problem were from 05, so I figured the instructions would have been changed by now.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I like the shifter but not the sliver do-dad that goes around the outside. Can you install the shifter and boot without the do-dad?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

silver do-dad?? im lost

If you mean the bezel that doesnt come with the Hust
Old 09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

My hurst had the pictures showing the correct direction (Bigger offset going towards passenger side). With it oriented like this it means you mount the stick onto the passenger side of the short stick.

Eh? Anyways, yeah.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8178A

I like the shifter but not the sliver do-dad that goes around the outside. Can you install the shifter and boot without the do-dad?
Looks awesome, and I like the shifter bezel. Which one is it/where'd you get it (the bezel)?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I like the bezel too. It's the one that came with the Interior Upgrade Packagewhen I bought the car. It's attached to the leather boot. Here's one that looks like what I have http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=572A+01 and here http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

Quick Reply: Hurst fix and Rev tune