Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty bs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default extended warranty bs

hello all,
right before my warranty expired, i bought an extended warranty from ford ($1500[:@]) i've been thinking lately... if something does go wrong with my car, i have to pay a $100 deductible just to get it fixed... thats ridiculous in my opinion. i cant do any internals on my car or FI for fear of voiding part of my warranty, thus wasting money on buying the warranty in the first place. all these restrictions have been kinda pissing me off lately because i paid so much for my warranty, and i dont think ill ever really need to use it. plus the fact that it doesnt expire until 2012.

is there anyway to "return" an extended warranty? maybe get some of my money back? sorry for the rant, but im in college and dont like wasting money. someone make me feel better about this!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: extended warranty bs

i have never bought a warranty..they are a waste..

I think you are stuck with it..sorry..
Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Another example of people not reading something before they buy it.

Anyways, yes you can return it but you may not get a 100% refund. It will probably be pro-rated. Since you bought it before your OEM warranty expired and not when you bought the car, you'll probably get 80-90% of it back. Just call the customer service number for the warranty and tell them you'd like to cancel it.

They will probably try to give you a hard time but if you read the fine print it will tell you your cancellation rights. If they still say no, let them know you will contact the BBB and the FTC to get resolution. That will make them more receptive. Shouldn't be that hard though.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I know you can get paid for the esp when trading in the car. I'll have to check on just wanting a refund. Whats your mileage now?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: torch red

No he's not. I've cancelled them before either because I traded the car in or I sold it before the extended warranty expired. It's just prorated.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

Call your dealership, they can return the $$$ for the unused portion. They have a calculation by how many days you've had the warranty I believe. My sister cancelled her warranty on her new Ford Edge and got a check back. Good luck! P.S. don't buy the extra warranties/rust proof for future reference....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: torch red

No he's not. I've cancelled them before either because I traded the car in or I sold it before the extended warranty expired. It's just prorated.
Very correct! They will cancel at your request, and refund at a prorated amount. My husband works for Ford and we dont take extended warranty because it is just what you said, a waste, and you really dont benefit unless you have a major claim and even then they will investigate the s**t out of it before they pay. I cant remember which one was better, ESP or Millinium but one is not worth a crap at all!!!

Also,let me add, there is a lot of stipulations before they will pay for even the smallest thing. I had it on my 2004 and never had a reason come up to use it. The only thing that I ever needed done when I had it was struts and extended warranty wont cover that unless they can determine manf. defect and we all know how impossible that can be. So, I paid $1200 and never got to use it.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07MustangGT_girl - P.S. don't buy the extra warranties/rust proof for future reference....
You say don't buy extended warranties, I for 1 am glad I did!
2006 Focus, 38K miles on the clock and the steering rack went out
GOT arental car for 2 days and they put new rack on the Focus,... cost me $100
Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

right now i have about 38000 miles on my car. i bought the warranty because i like insurance that if anything goes wrong, i dont have to pay for it (or at least the majority) but now that ive had the car for a while and have read through this forum,i dont think there ismuch that goes wrong with our cars that i cant get fixed at a local shop. i would looooove to get my money back, put 500 of it aside for future maintainance and put the rest into my car, but i do not believe my dad would sanction it. are there any plausible situations where keeping my warranty would be the smart thing to do?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

btw... i have an extended factory warranty. sorry for the confusion

Quick Reply: extended warranty bs