Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting to third

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
speedmonkey3591

Default Shifting to third

This car is my first stick shift, and I had a question about the 2007 Mustang GT stickshift. I am having trouble shifting from second to third quickly. When the car isn't moving, I can push it with my palm from second to third VERY fast. But when the car is moving, it seems like there is some resistance or something so it ends up taking me probably almost a second to shift to third. I was wondering, how do you guys do it? What is the technique? I haven't seen any other people talking about this, so I'm assuming its obviously no problem with the tranny, just the way im shifting it.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shifting to third

I have a problem getting into third from time to time under extreme(track) shifting. From what I have read about this its in the stock bushings that are very soft. Just practice and you will get better with it or a new shifter the mgw, hurst and steeda are popular with the forums.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downriverT

I have a problem getting into third from time to time under extreme(track) shifting. From what I have read about this its in the stock bushings that are very soft. Just practice and you will get better with it or a new shifter the mgw, hurst and steeda are popular with the forums.
+1 just practice! This is also my first stick but i was suprised at how soon i caught on but shifter under WOT especially into 3rd is tough with the stock shifter..i got the hurst now and love it!! If you are looking for an aftermarket shifter with more precise, shorter throws go HURST
Old 09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Actually there is a design flaw that contributes to this problem. The stock engine mounts allow the engine/transmission assy to move a LOT under wide open throttle. The shifter is mounted to the body. Under wide open throttle you go to make your shift and the trans moves, the shifter doesn't and it binds. This is why you noticed it works fine when the car is stopped. This is a very common problem with these cars.
I found that the problem was pretty much eliminated when I changed my engine mounts for a set of polyurethane mounts. After that I upgraded to an MGW short throw shifter which to the best of my knowledge is the only aftermarket shifter out there that actually compensates for the twisting motion of the trans under load. Other after market shifters will resolve this issue as well though but the polyurethane engine mounts make it even better plus it's a cheap and easy mod that also helps get more power to the ground by elminating excessive engine / trans movement.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 PM
speedmonkey3591

damn it! the last thing i wanted to hear is that this actually is a problem! heh, im a 16 year old with a tiny budget, i just got an exhaust, have just enough for some window tinting, and after that i'll have nothing left over, even though i have a long list of things I need to fix, mostly suspension upgrades

anyways.. thanks a lot for the help, I will practice a lot in the future... so would a steeda shifter fix this then? http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...r_assembly.php is what i was looking at.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
speedmonkey3591

and http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ine_mounts.php for the mounts... so if i get that and the shifter, this problem should be fixed completely?

thansk again for all the help!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

That shifter would be an improvment over the stock shifter for sure but I think that based on my experience I would just get a set of polyurethane engine mounts instead.
I found my stock shifter worked quite well after I changed to these mounts. You also get the added benifit of getting more power to the wheels because you're eliminating all that excessive engine / trans movement.
Summit Racing has them for $127.69. Part # PTP-6-505-BL - Cheaper than the Steeda mounts and it will resolve your problem completely. At did for me at least.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

yeah turns out this is a very common problem......i recall that there was a "k-member" part that fixed this problem from the all the torque causing the shift box to twist alittle and causing it to be difficult to find 3rd at WOT....search "k-member" there were ALOT of ppl that have been very satisfied with this mod.....its on my future mod list!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

ok heres the link check it out..... https://mustangforums.com/m_1832846/tm.htm
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Just buy the MGW shifter. You WILL NOT miss third, nor will you even have to think about it again......JMO....

Mike

Quick Reply: Shifting to third