Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

functional scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default functional scoops?

Hey guys/gals,

As I wait for the dealer to call me back regarding the two 'Stangs my wife and I are getting, I was curious to know something. Has anybody ever functionally integrated side scoops on their cars? I know you can get functional hoods, but I would think ventilating your brakes would be a great thing as well, and so far, haven't seen anyone rocking working side scoops. Is there a reason why not, or is it just that nobody's wanted to slice into their sheetmetal yet???
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: functional scoops?

There are quarter window louvers which are functional.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

What the hell would those do? Send airflow to the spoiler, maybe??? Still, I would think you would have seen some real brake cooling scoops on these cars. Is there a problem with not having enough metal to work with? Would it intrude into the interior?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: gtucker4

What the hell would those do? Send airflow to the spoiler, maybe??? Still, I would think you would have seen some real brake cooling scoops on these cars. Is there a problem with not having enough metal to work with? Would it intrude into the interior?
If done properly you could re-route the airflow down to the brakes, that's what the hell those would do.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Hey guys/gals,

As I wait for the dealer to call me back regarding the two 'Stangs my wife and I are getting, I was curious to know something. Has anybody ever functionally integrated side scoops on their cars? I know you can get functional hoods, but I would think ventilating your brakes would be a great thing as well, and so far, haven't seen anyone rocking working side scoops. Is there a reason why not, or is it just that nobody's wanted to slice into their sheetmetal yet???
Don't get matching cars, it's very weird, buy her a pontiac GTO for variety, trust me you will be happy with this.

Other than that functional side scoops would be an amazing mod.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Why the hell would you go from all the way up there???[8D]Seems like it makes loads more sense to use the side scoops. Perhaps it's a rust issue? Couldn't you cut the vent into the rear quarter panel, mold the scoop in, and then go from there? Wouldn't keeping the vent clean be just like cleaning up under the stock GT spoiler? I just know the answer can't be that nobody's thought of doing it yet...[&:]
Old 09-29-2007, 05:41 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Mine-Torch GT(fingers crossed)
Hers-Vista V6

And what's wrong with a multi Mustang family?!?! Plus, no car envy either...No reason for her to drive mine!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Why the hell would you go from all the way up there???[8D]Seems like it makes loads more sense to use the side scoops. Perhaps it's a rust issue? Couldn't you cut the vent into the rear quarter panel, mold the scoop in, and then go from there? Wouldn't keeping the vent clean be just like cleaning up under the stock GT spoiler? I just know the answer can't be that nobody's thought of doing it yet...[&:]
Exactly. You could do that, but if you didn't want to cut into the BODY of the car, you could put the pre-molded quarter window louvers and run a tube from them down into the wheel well to get air to the brakes. I have yet to see functional side scoops, and I am pretty sure its because no one wants to cut into the body of thier car.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I was gonna post the pic or link, but I can't find it.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:50 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

A tube running from your louvers sounds horrendous for looks. Damn, I wish I, or someone else, had mentioned this to BuddyDank when he was rebuilding that car of his...[:@]I wonder if there's anyone else in the middle of a salvage project? On a new car, I'm definitely not sure I'd try it, not without some kind of sponsorship. Sounds like it would be an awesome mod, though. I guess the same could be asked about the front bumper, or fenders.

Quick Reply: functional scoops?