Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:35 AM
eludebear

Default RE: Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I'll make this short and simple:
At your age you want a cheap, dependable car. You don't have long enough credit history, if any, to get a great % rate, and your insurance is going to be higher with a more expensive auto.
So you need to buy a used car.
How much money do you have saved? That's the amount that I'd say you should spend.
Have $10,000? Then there might be a used, private party V-6 out there...
only $1500 saved up :[

but i will have a good interest rate - my parents said they would cosign for it
Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 AM
dvf1973
2nd Gear Member

Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Good luck with that.. If you're set on a GT, I'd look at an '05 used from a dealer and buy an extended warranty if you're concerned about repair costs. Then, leave it STOCK so as not to void that warranty. You should be able to pick up a nice used one for ~$15-17k.. Insurance? Whole nother ballgame. You're in the risk pool, so you're probably going to pay out the ***.

2006 GT 'vert MT, bought new in March '07@ stealership.Sticker $35,400, paid $29,900. Every option but heated seats. Insurance is $1600/yr for two cars with full coverage.

Good luck.. Gas is a MF in these things. I drive ~50 miles a day to/from work, and I spend ~$300 a month on gas. /me thinks you need a better paying job if you're serious about a GT.. My little sister has a Legend Lime V6.. Nice looking car. Too slow for me, but still nice.

I'm 31, not skinny, but thankfully still have all my hair. Personally, I'm glad I didn't have this car when I was your age. I would have wound up dead or in jail. My advice to you? Get a nice clean used V6 until you're out of college. Then sell it/trade it in for a GT when you get a better paying job (presumably) when you're done with school. If nothing else, you'll be able to afford the speeding tickets/mods then... Just my $.02, do with it what you will...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:39 AM
boingo

My feeling is unless you have enough saved up for it to pay cash, you shouldn't buy it. This is based on me spending my life from 18 yrs old to 28 yrs old constantly broke because I keptbuying / driving cars I couldn't afford. I know this is a tall order for most21-yr olds, but in your situation I recommend that youbuy the cheapest RELIABLE car you can find, and focus on paying it off as quickly as possible, then focus on saving up for the car you want. Most people say buy used. I think there are a lot of good reasons to buy new -- you don't have to worry about whether the car has been wrecked, you know the history, you have a bumper to bumper warranty, peace of mind, etc.It's been a while since I shopped them, but suspect for around $10K you can buy a new Ford Ranger or perhaps a Korean car w/ a 100K warranty. The Ranger won't depreciate too fast --drive it for a few years, pay it off, then, when you are in the financial position to do so, buy the Mustang. I think most of us have been in your situation and understand your desire to have an impressive vehicle. I think you are better off waiting until you can afford it. Having a big loan will makeyou a slave to your car / car payment. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 AM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

I have an 07 Gt I bought new, ttt=32000 no money down but they paid my other loan off (06 civic) bought in may w/ 5.1 fi. (o% wasnt out yet and im very impulsive [&:] )

Insurance is a b*tch and im 21, married, hes over 25, no accidents on record and we have another truck so i get those discounts

Dont commit to anything unless its something you love cause youll do anything to get rid of it and the last thing you want is to be upside down on your value.

Used is definately where you want to be if your set on the stang, I've had a lemon so i only buy new but money allows so...
But the thing is when your paying for something you do apreciate it more regardless of car. The car i miss the most is my first, 91' geo storm. it was the ugliest thing but it got me where i needed to go and didnt have to worry about where to park it, washing it and gas was great. and insurance was $50 a month.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you have less than 50 posts and say it's a girl's car, you should be instantly banned.

just my opinion, but 90% of girls could't handle the power of a mustang gt.

You can't afford this car like so many others on this forum. Get an affordable car that gets good gas mileage.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

i would tell you not to do it. your putting to much of your income towards it.

I'm 21. I was blessed with a great job out of college, so i bought it and the GS.

Be patient, maybe an 04>earlier mustang GT? can get them cheap as heck....
Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

You sound like a conscientious worker but don't be a slave to a car at this early stage of your life. You are planning on commiting too much of your earnings to this. Expect the unexpected and you will not be trapped in debt. If you do decide to get a Mustang though I wish you the best.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Here I go again with my Uber Dutch ways...
Can't afford to put the money down, can't afford the car... Nuff Said

Insurance for us was around the 600 mark for 6 months for the 05 GT. Now it has dropped to 450 for six, because the car is older, and we haven't gotten any accidents.
We payed 25000 all in back in 2005, connections for the WIN! A GT500 @ msrp would have been possible aswell they told me when they came out, but yeah, the "Uber Dutch Ways" kicked in!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

got a new07 V6 for under 20K, insurance runs the same as my old Honda Accord, get about 25MPG, and LOVE the car. If you can make the payments you wont regret it, and the stealership will be glad to give you some LONG term financing$$$$ if needed!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car