Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
eludebear

Default Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car

I've been reading these forum's for a few weeks now and love what people have to say about their cars (this site makes me want to buy one even more since I know I will be the same way)

Anyways my family has been under a slight delihma lately seeing as we have 3 cars and 4 people with jobs, so we need another car right now. A little about myself, im 21 years old, I graduated from Highschool and I am currently going to Community College (my parents pay for it luckily). I've had a source of income since I was about 15, No i didnt deal drugs or do anything illegal, I just recently got a new job at a country club working as an assistant and make 8.50/hr working almost 40hrs a week, and i dont plan on losing this job any time soon. I also have an internship that i "usually" work at during my summer/winter breaks and make 10.00/hr there. I dont drink a lot - at least compared to kids my age, I dont do drugs, I dont drive like an Idiot, and I've never been pulled over or gotten a ticket - I did have one minor accident but it was half the other guys fault and barely did any damage to my car.

Here are some of my PROS/CONS against getting a mustang:

CONS:
1) My parents aren't going to help me pay for a dime of it and Im going to have to pay for the inssurance also.
2) Im deathly afraid of getting ripped off If i decide to buy a used one, seeing as repairing a car is no joke and will probably kick me in the side of the head.
3) My dad went looking at cars with me last weekend and tried to show me a bunch of other crappy cars I didnt like, and when we got to the Ford dealership told me that I should get a GT since they look better then just standard ones (but why should I care if he doesnt help me pay for it?)
4) It will drain about 75% of each of my paychecks to pay for this car.
5) Everyone in my family thinks its a "girls car" seeing as I live in houston and about 90% of the people we see driving a 2005+ mustang is a girl.

PROS:
1) If im going to buy a car why not get one that I REALLY want rather then driving some POS then buying this car when im 30, fat, and bald. (No offense to anyone thats 30, fat or bald, but I will be)
2) It will make me more responsible seeing as I will always have to have a job to pay for this ( something I dont mind)
3) Will make me an extremely happy person because I fell in love with the older 68/69 mustangs and these are the next best things if not better than them.

As for me spending 75% of each of my paychecks on it I dont mind that, I work all the time and dont really spend my money on anything, I dont save it cause I usually buy random stuff that I dont need like Ipods, Laptops, Golf Clubs, Clothes, and other stuff that I wouldnt buy If I had a car payment.

Here are some questions for you as Mustang owners:
1) Did you buy your stang from a private seller or a retailer?
2) What model and year do you have?
3) How much did you pay for it? (after tax, title, etc)
4) Did you put any money down?
5) How much are your monthly payments and Inssurance (and what provider you use)
6) What is your interest rate if you took out a loan?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car

Uh what?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 PM
eludebear

bump!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

1) Did you buy your stang from a private seller or a retailer?
2) What model and year do you have?
3) How much did you pay for it? (after tax, title, etc)
4) Did you put any money down?
5) How much are your monthly payments and Inssurance (and what provider you use)
6) What is your interest rate if you took out a loan?
I think you might have lost most folk when you started poking into private financial matters thereand the rest dissappeared after your bump, 45 minutes later [&:] LOL
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eludebear

1) Did you buy your stang from a private seller or a retailer? Dealership
2) What model and year do you have? 2006
3) How much did you pay for it? (after tax, title, etc) 28,500 in 2006
4) Did you put any money down? 0
5) How much are your monthly payments and Inssurance (and what provider you use) 400 a month
6) What is your interest rate if you took out a loan? 0%

BTW want my social security
credit card
photocopy of my license or should I just mail it to you?

lol jk man
Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

put a set oflong tubeheaders, off road H pipe, SLP Loudmouths on, and get a manual trans. with ahurst short throw shifter, and classic chin spoilerand that will stop everyone from thinking its a girls car.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:23 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i bought mine brand new from the dealership. I have an 07 GT, personally would never buy a non GT. I paid around $23500 for it and put $3000 down.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I don't own a mustang
Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Zookroo1
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't commit 75% of each paycheck to a car. Not a good idea... If your situation were to change and you had to pay any other bills you'd be out of luck. Insurance and gas add up as well. You can get a nice decent used car to drive for a few years for much less. That way you can work hard towards your goal of the Mustang and you'll appreciate it more. Cars are great but there are other things to consider for your future. Just my thought, good luck!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I'll make this short and simple:
At your age you want a cheap, dependable car. You don't have long enough credit history, if any, to get a great % rate, and your insurance is going to be higher with a more expensive auto.
So you need to buy a used car.
How much money do you have saved? That's the amount that I'd say you should spend.
Have $10,000? Then there might be a used, private party V-6 out there...

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Looking to buy stang as first car