Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 03:31 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Maintenance Schedule

Picked up my Screaming Yellow GT yesterday. Was looking at the Docs. Was surprised that Ford wanted to visit with my car every five thousand miles. How many of you Ford and Musang repeat customers visit the dealer that often? Appears to be the oil change inteval for the instigator.

I ride an '04 Yamaha FJR1300ABS. The dealer wanted to see it at 600 miles, and he is not expecting to see it again till around 24k miles. I use $15/qt oil in this ride.

Ever have any "issues" for not bringing your Ford or Mustang back every 5k miles?

I change my oil, my self every 4k miles using synthetics and an expensive additive, between the two we be talking $50.00. I like to change it regular, and since I'm not absolutely trusting, I like to make sure my goods make it into my crankcase.

Gregory
Old 02-20-2005, 10:46 AM
ravenblack67

Default RE: Maintenance Schedule

I never bring my cars to the dealer unless it is a warranty issue. I do all maintenance myself and keep receipts. BTW, 4K between oil changes using synthetic seems a bit frequent. Ford does not recommend additives.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

I always do my own changes too. I just have 600 miles on my 05, so I haven't done the first change. I usually, do the first change at 1000 miles. With the new engine that's the just in case change. Then every 3-5K depending on oil type. Haven't deceided what oil to run in this car.

The dealership's want to do to much extra $$ "Air filter, fuel filter, have you considered changing your anit-freeze and a cooling system flush?", that was on my 03 F150 in december, 18 months old, 28K miles, like hell no I don't want to change the coolant!! Unless, you want to do it under warranty.

Needless to say, I changed dealerships when I bought the 05 Stang.

Best of luck with your car!!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've been told that my interval schedule is "a bit frequent".

Your major wear is generally at start up. Once the engine gets operating temperture, your engine is cleaned of the nasties that got into it during the cold running period. It takes twenty minutes more or less before your engine oil is cooking out the impuritiesm then it takes time to get the job done.

That being said, my motorcycle usually a twice a week fun ride. I know when I get on it that it'll cover at least 100 miles before it comes home again. So it qualifies for longer change intervals, but 4k miles does not come up often enough that the dollar side worries me. Plus, I have often read oil companies have a mileage and time factor in their oil. The cycle sees it's 9,500 RPM Red Line often, and runs at 5,000/6,000 RPM a lot. I use a Europeon Ester based full synthetic in it.

My last car, up for sale now, a very "tweaked" (engine and suspension) out '78 BMW 320i has 258k on the odometer. It had a custom rebuild with cam and such at 132k. This motor on the road at 80MPH is churning along a 4k RPM's. Not loafing. When I drive it in the local mountains, since it is a 2 litre four cylinder I have a strong tendency to hold it in second and third for long periods of time with the tach showing long periods of 5k/6k RPM useage. Little fella loves it! I am on my 26th set of tires now, the engine runs, sounds like a turbine, oil consumption is minimal. But, I change evry 4k miles cause the engine gets a fair amount of local driving to the store and such.

I talked to Red Line Oil, my oil of choice. I'm waiting till 2k miles, then, it is going to be Red Line Oil in the engine, Red Line MTL in the trans, and Red Line Gear Oil in the rear. My old BMW gets more "fast time" than you can imagine, the engine gets worked harder than your/my GT motor will ever get worked and it "runs lke a turbine".

My additive of choice is "Tufoil". You can find it at www.tufoil.com I run eight ounces every oil change. 126k miles on my BMW rebuild, and 144k miles on my GMC 4.3 Litre pickup both say "works for me!"

Gregory

ORIGINAL: ravenblack67

I never bring my cars to the dealer unless it is a warranty issue. I do all maintenance myself and keep receipts. BTW, 4K between oil changes using synthetic seems a bit frequent. Ford does not recommend additives.