Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Service Interval? 5 Spd & Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:12 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Service Interval? 5 Spd & Fuel Filter

I have an '05 GT, with 74k on it. its been to the dealer on occasion, they've done "checks" and say all is "OK". In NC we have "Safety Checks" that checks out the car reasonably well. I've done my own oil changes and pay attention to the "feel" of the car.

I've changed out the 5 speed with Amsoil ATF and last with Mobil 1 ATF at 60k. I was looking at Ford's "Schedule Maintenance Guide" and I'm not seeing a recommend on changing out the 5 Speed's ATF or I am just missing it. I'm thinking with Mobil 1 ATF either 1) don't worry about it until 90K, or 2) don't worry about it much at all. What do you think? Know anything on the service interval?

I've also changed out the fuel filter a couple of times, the last time at 60k miles. FWIW I only run Shell and Exxon in the GT. its only got 14k on the fuel filter, change it out? What's the interval recommended?

TIA
Old 08-05-2015, 06:36 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I looked at the "Schedule Maintenance Guide" again, it looks like the service interval for the fuel filter is every 30k. I'm still not finding anything, blind maybe (?) that tells me about the transmission, 5 speed, service interval. I know I did my own with synthetics back in California when the car was still very young, I know I did it once here with Amsoil ATF at some point after I moved here in '07, pretty sure it was around 30k, and I know I did it again when it had 60k on it. So, I'm guessing I'm OK for another 15k, on both, just looking for some input. TIA
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I pulled out my Haynes Repair Manual - found it easily, 5 speed transmission, change out fluid every 60k or 48 months. Got that licked! I'll probably change at 90k again, if I'm able. Fuel filter, change out every 30k or 24 months, I'll do again at 90k, unless I decide what the hell.

Haynes suggest changing out the brake fluid every 30k or 24 months. Anyone been doing that? I have not. My last car was a BMW I had set up for road racing. Very well maintained, driven harder than you can ever drive your Mustangs, that BMW 2 liter was a great engine, but, you had to stay on the gas longer, especially when racing in the Sierra and Santa Cruz Mountains. I changed out the brake/clutch fluids on that car many times, but I had it for 30 years and 269k miles. And, now, I just had my 68th birthday and I'm not quite as willing to dive under my cars anymore. I did do my own oil and filter change this morning though! :-)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Fuel filter about 24,000 miles. Manual trans fluid 36,000
Old 08-15-2015, 08:55 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Better shifting with Dex III / Mercon.

My last car was a BMW I had set up for road racing. Very well maintained, driven harder than you can ever drive your Mustangs,
How so?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:52 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Bleeding the brakes is pretty easy too and way cheaper than going to a Jippy Lube type place or the stealership. I do it every year. Get a quart of DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid ~$12-$15. Don't re-use last year's fluid - it absorbs water. Top up the master cylinder between each wheel bleeds. Don't let the brake fluid reservoir run dry or you'll get air in the brake lines and that gives mushy brakes. I got a Lisle brake bleeding kit (a small plastic bottle and some hoses). Just loosen the brake bleeder screw until brake fluid dribbles out, push the plastic drain/bleed line over the bleeder screw and pump the brakes until the fluid comes out clean then tighten up the bleeder. Don't forget to reinstall the little rubber nipple over the bleeder once you're done. Usually to clean out one line/cylinder this is one bottle (about 1/2 cup). Do it in this sequence. RR, LR, RF, LF.
This is pretty easy to do - rears are easy and the fronts are too if you turn the front tires to allow access. No jacking really required if you don't mind being on your back under the car a bit. Takes 20 minutes and saves $100.