Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you keep your baby clean

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: how do you keep your baby clean

I was reading most of the posts on here and most of the black stang owners have a very specific (sometimes longer) way to wash and clean/wax their stangs. Others were just vague. I love black but the best kept ones are cleaned the most. Just an observation........continue!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

It does take more work to clean/wax/polish a black car than a lighter colored one. The black streaks more with the polish, shows more water spots, shows spots you missed with the sponge, shows dust easier,.....but.......it looks the best when done!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Cloewe06

Use a duster.
I wash at least once a week, two bucket method.
Clay twice a year-polish with Klasse AIO- Klasse sealant glaze.
Take wheels off and use Klasse SG on them.
Polish glass with AIO and cover with Rainblock gel.

Basic once week wash
Klasse SG mixed 25% distilled water.
Use 303 Protectant on plastic and rubber.- Quick touck ups Eagle one Nano protectant
Love Armor All Tire foam then finish off with 303. Armor all in wheel wells.

Black nothing requires as much work
Old 10-06-2007, 01:29 AM
NELS GT
3rd Gear Member

I start off at the car wash and use the Soap setting, then Rinse, Wax, Spotfree Rinse. I used to use the tire / "whitewall" degreaser on only my tires, and was careful not to get the greenish foam substance on my rims, but after a few months I found that it doesnt do any harm to the rims, and it gets rid of stubborn brakedust and debris great!

After this I go for a little spin to get the car partially dry (actually, its just an excuse for a good 0-60 pull around the block)

Then I go back home, wait for the car to dry.. waterspots ensue, but they get buffed out during the handwax. I use Meguiar's Gold Class wax - the stuff that smells like bananas. It works great, and is easy to deal with. I wax the rims using the same, then use Meguiar's spray tireshine on my Pirelli's, which also works like a charm. I even wax my windows, which may sound crazy to some of you, while others of you may already practice this. It works better than Rain-X.

Then, I spend a good amount of time cleaning up the interior with Armor-All products. Andthen of course I have to tend to my stupid "Medium Parchment" interior. What an idea Ford had on that one... Cheap, almost white fabric - takes stains like crap. No kidding, if your clothes and you are completely clean, you'll still leave dark "smudges" just because the material is so cheap. I at least wish I had the leather medium parchment, but the ultimate for me would be black leather with carbon fiber dash, black everything else. :-\ Oh well, thats the only thing I dislike about my car.

NELS GT
Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

The Cali Duster does not scratch your paint if you know how to use it. You're not supposed to scrub with it. You just let the strands of the mop lightly brush the dust off.
Amen! I have been using one for about 8 months now and it does not scratch the paint as long as you don't put a lot of pressure behind it. It's great when I'm in a hurry to get the car cover back on before dew sets in.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

imagine if someone invented a way to clean our stangs within 10 min. Maybe a chemical that does no harm to the paint but kills all dirt/grease/water spots.
I thought I read some where that a Japanese car company was working on technology for car paints to not attract dirt. I do know GM is working on technology to have paint "heal" itself. They have a patten on it now but it will be in the future before we see it in production.