Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Hurst Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Need Hurst Info

I installed a Hurst Comp Plus shifter from Brenspeed about 2 weeks ago, and I notice that it has vertical movement, meaning that I can wiggle the stick up and down a little and it makes a bumping noise underneath as if there is some play in the pivot ball housing. The instructions I received with my shifter had an error, and the instructions are dated 5/05. I wondered if I had received an old shifter that had problems that had since been resolved by Hurst, so I contacted Brenspeed. Dave responded and said that they sell 7 to 10 shifters per week, and it's unlikely they sold any "old" shifters unless the shipment they received was old. He said in the past 2 or 3 years about 4 people had received shifters in which the pivot ball was defective, and they had replaced their shifter. He was very nice and told me I can exchange my shifter if I want to (GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE BTW....+1 for Brenspeed).

So what I need to know is if the vertical play in my shifter is normal or should the shifter be really really snug so that you can't move it up and down at all. I plan on posting a youtube video of my vertical play later on tonight probably, but if anyone else has this shifter, can you please chime in with your experience. I'm trying to determine if my shifter is defective or not. I don't want to go to the trouble of ordering another from Brenspeed if it's going to be the same way. Also, tell me when you purchased your shifter, the date on your instructions, and whether your instructions were incorrect. Mine said to put the offset to the passenger side, which was opposite to the stock setup. Thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Hurst Info

From what you are describing mine does the same thing. You can lift it up and down a little bit?? Mine has the same thing..Been like that since I installed..not sure if its bad or not but still working like a champ!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Mine works great too, but occasionally on a colder day it seems to rattle somewhat and be noisy until it gets warmed up really good. This is why I was wondering about defects. The very slight up-down play is ok with me, but if it's causing noise while driving, I'd like to eliminate it. I'm wondering if I greased the pivot ball really good if that would help.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

As i said before, there should not be any play up and down, only a little side to side maybe.....mine vibrates a little bit but no noise is coming from it.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I put mine in Saturday and have driven it every day since. I used loctite and it does not vibrate or move up or down. That sucker is tight! I wish it did have a bit more play to be honest. It takes some muscle to move that thing around.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I'm not talking about loose, floppy movement like the side to side that you can do with one finger. Grab the stick hard and yank up and down. Mine seems to move the most in third gear.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ffk_pennywise

I put mine in Saturday and have driven it every day since. I used loctite and it does not vibrate or move up or down. That sucker is tight! I wish it did have a bit more play to be honest. It takes some muscle to move that thing around.
What's the date on your instructions? You too, howarmat.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

No clue.....i installed it in like Feb, I know they were dated like 12/06 or whatever....they were correct and I bought it from brenspeed.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Mine doesn't have any vertical play at all. It does move alittle side to side when in gear, but thats because I had to reuse the bushing from the factory shifter.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Thanks, guys. I think I'll order a new one from Brenspeed, and try it out. They are so great about satisfying their customers.

Quick Reply: Need Hurst Info