Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
LMM1967
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Gauges?

[/quote]
Ok, so I didnt know what a wideband was, googled it, and came up with this
http://www.v8power.com/cat--Mustang-...ter--afrm.html
So something like that?
Whats a good brand?

[/quote]

Autometer - they have the guages in several different styles and pillar mounting solutions for single, double and triple gauge setups.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ to autometer!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Shredder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thurman

It is a lot, but look what you have spent already. Is $600.00 going to kill you?
I say while it is their, get it hooked up.
Actually thats the way I am leaning right now.. the saleen one actually looks pretty good compared to a lot of the other ones out there..
I think I will have them do the gauges, then add the other ones to the pillar later
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Forget those Saleen gauges. 600 dollars is way too much labor for installing them. Go with Autometer Cobalt or Nexus. Install them yourself.
The wideband requires you have a bung welded on the exhaust in front of the drivers side cat. I paid 60.00 for a muffler shop to weld in the bung.
That is where the sensor will thread in.
Oil pressure is the next important gauge. The one you have stock is an idiot gauge and only has one position when it senses oil pressure.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Shredder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Forget those Saleen gauges. 600 dollars is way too much labor for installing them. Go with Autometer Cobalt or Nexus. Install them yourself.
The wideband requires you have a bung welded on the exhaust in front of the drivers side cat. I paid 60.00 for a muffler shop to weld in the bung.
Oil pressure is the next important gauge. The one you have stock is an idiot gauge and only has one position when it senses oil pressure.
So what connections are on the supercharger already? do I have to install the sensors on it, or are they already there?
Is it just connecting the wires and running them, or do I have to install all the sensors also?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shredder

ORIGINAL: zkiller

So what connections are on the supercharger already? do I have to install the sensors on it, or are they already there?
Is it just connecting the wires and running them, or do I have to install all the sensors also?
All you need to do for Mechanical boost guage is tap the vacume line for your SC. The wideband needs to have a "bung" welded into your exhaust for the O2 sensor that comes with it. A muffler shop will do this for 75-100 bucks. Both guages will need a power and a ground and that is it. Here is a picture of my sos pod and my placement of my wide band. You can do this, they wanted $350.00 to do mine and i thought that was too much.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54455/7D217B75955B4111AF7E3B02776BFE8F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54455/74B5270AD72E480DAEC868C43A03A627.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Shredder
2nd Gear Member

Sawyer, I like the gauge right in the dash between the vents!
I personally am a little scared to cut into my car at this point.. its only a week old so far lol

Is it important to have the wideband right away.. or is it ok to wait a couple months?
I havnt even made my first car payment yet, besides the down payment, and I am already in for 10K extra.. and I dont have my rims yet
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Here is a step by step (I actually removed everything including the pasenger air bag[&o]). PM sent.

A/F is the most important gauge IMO, you do not want to go lean on a SC application, although most of the tunes for the latest SC's are right on.
I know how you feel, inside the first 6 months I spent 12k in extras, but I have zero buyers remorse.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Sawyer, I am interested in mounting my gauges between the vents as well. Can you post the steps you took or contact me? Thanks. I'm actually considering drilling with the dash in place.

Sleeper2
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Here it is, 98saleen posted this on m o d u l a r f o r d s..... I didn't use the "tilt" bezel and I can see it fine.

A real nice write up and the easier way to go.

Yep,
I took the plunge and installed a boost gauge in my center dash section.
Not hard to do at all and not very time consuming either!
I love it!
Looks factory installed!

Here's the photo journal.....enjoy.

Ryan

Pic 1 - Parts

Pic 2 - Stock dash before any mods

Pic 3 - Remove console
There are 2 phillips screws in the arm rest.
Pull up and the rest of the top half of the console will come off.

Pic 4 - Mark area and drill hole. This is the "hold your breath and take the plunge" part.

Pic 5 - Test fitting gauge only (no tilt pod yet. This looks OK too, but I wanted more angle to me when driving.

Pic 6 & 7 - Painting the black tilt pod to match dash.

Pic 8 - Running boost signal line

Pic 9, 10, & 11 - Tapping into factory harness for light power

Pic 12, 13, & 14 - Mounting of gauge (final)

Final product (NOTE: I am going to install a Blue LED soon).

Contents to do this mod -
7mm socket
10mm socket (deep well)
#2 phillips screwdriver
2-5/8" hole saw
Wire cutters/strippers
Crimpers
Assorted wire connectors
1 - Disturbed CD
1 - Godsmack CD
1 - Quiet Riot CD
[/align]__________________