Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Come laugh at the newbie that messed up something simple (me)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Come laugh at the newbie that messed up something simple (me)

Didn't you read the giant sheet of paper in the instructions that says ATTENTION DO NOT USE THE STOCK SCREWS AS THEY WILL BREAK OFF IN THE HOUSING...
Old 10-06-2007, 05:45 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I just want to say - you have much more courage than me - I'm sure all will work out and I will be asking for your help when I get mine. Please post your impressions.

Congratulations! (and Thanks)
Old 10-06-2007, 05:46 PM
tjs2906
1st Gear Member

Try a small center punch, place it in the center of the bolt ( or what's left of it) light tap with a hammer until you have a small drill start indented, the're hard to find, but buy a small left handed drill bit ( it cuts in the same direction as unscrewing the screw). Spin the drill slowly backwards and hope the threads are not messed up, if all goes well at some point it might start to back itself out, hopeflully. I never seen an ez out that small but there may be one somewhere.. I have had good luck doing this, just be patient and careful. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

You could try drilling the screw out, or taking a bit smaller then the screw, drill into it and then back it out slowly and hope that it backs the screw out enough too.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

Didn't you read the giant sheet of paper in the instructions that says ATTENTION DO NOT USE THE STOCK SCREWS AS THEY WILL BREAK OFF IN THE HOUSING...
*headsmack*

Wow, I really am an idiot I guess.

I was going to post - it doesn't say that in the instructions.... but then I re-read them, and it is one of the first things it says. Though, in my defense it says it before the instructions on how to do it start. Oh well. I went to a few places, I purchased the smallest set of screw extractors I can find - hopefully it works. If not, it is only $4 wasted in the attempt. Just hope I don't end up having to call Brenspeed and ask for another part - that can't be cheap.

But hey - look at the bright side - I learned for everyone else - DON'T RE-USE THE STOCK MAF SCREWS
Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 PM
jeffsmachine

I would first try using a very sharp center punch,as mentioned,lightly tapping with a small hammer, around the outside edge in reverse direction.If that doesnt work,You will have to drill it out.It can be done with hand tools,but the best method would be in a milling machine as allready mentioned, or in a drill press that goes in reverse.
To do it by hand You will need :
Bench vise or other method to hold it securely
Sharp center punch
small hammer
drill motor that goes in reverse
a set of small left hand drill bits. (from machine supply or Mc Master-Carr online)

Big problem when drilling out with right hand drill bits is that the drilling process will tighten the broken screw even further,making it harder to remove.
To start
Carefully make a center mark with center punch and hammer.Start drilling in reverse with your smallest L.H. drill bit.GO SLOW AND DONT PUSH.
Gradually use larger bits ,going slowly,one step at a time.Eventually,one of the bits will grab, spinning the screw out of the hole.
If you rush or push too hard, you might break off a drill bit,really causing problems.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM
rom8bszfh2cg5q7s4pap
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing to the MAF housing provided with my Whipple supercharger. The factory screws are very weak, and both of them broke.

I was not able to get one of them out using a screw extractor from Sears. I may have been able to do it with a drill press, as another poster suggested, but all I have is a hand drill. They do sell a cheap drill press that uses your hand drill. I will most likely buy a new housing from Whipple, and use different screws.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

don't feel too bad. there was someone on the forum who screwed up installing a antenna a few weeks ago. i think he has you beat.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Metal man
2nd Gear Member

Let me know if you don't have any luck, I work in a machine shop, maby you can send it my way.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Just in case......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Help! Come laugh at the newbie that messed up something simple (me)