Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the center vent panel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default How do you remove the center vent panel?

Can someone walk me through removing the center vent panel? I'm trying to install my aeroforce gauge inbetween the two vents.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:13 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do you remove the center vent panel?

Hey Moose,
I believe you need to remove the air bag compartment above the glove box, to get to the bolts for the center vent. BE CAREFUL!! Cut the power to the air bags!!

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...g%20safety.pdf

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...s%20airbag.pdf
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

sorry to be off topic but where did you buy your aeroforce?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 AM
07GT4.6
1st Gear Member

Yeap pass air bag needs to come off and the gauge cluster trim but that one is easy just tilt the steering colum all the way down and pull on the cluster trim it comes right off.Once off you will find 4 screws holding the panel two on each side good luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

This might not be correct, but cant you just take a hole cutter and make the cuts....no removing anything......i think its dead space back there but cant remember for sure.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

This might not be correct, but cant you just take a hole cutter and make the cuts....no removing anything......i think its dead space back there but cant remember for sure.
It is dead space but that panel has reinforcement type brackets of plastic behind it that will also have to get trim. Will be an easier and leaner install to just remove it instead of trying to fight with it IMO.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

It is dead space but that panel has reinforcement type brackets of plastic behind it that will also have to get trim. Will be an easier and leaner install to just remove it instead of trying to fight with it IMO.
+1 and I also had to take a larger hole saw to the plastic behind the panel in order for the gauge to clear. That might not have been necessary if I had one of those gauge pod blanks to tilt the gauge. I'm going to need to get one of those and paint it silver to match because it's to hard to read from the drivers seat.

I got it out and the airbag didn't go boom. I tried to make the hole directly between the two metal push pins that hold the gauge in, but still had to remove the bottom one to clear the gauge. It's not like they are necessary.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Post some pics when you're done
Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes, pics
Old 10-07-2007, 04:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The aeroforce gauge is hard to read so i'm ordering these to angle it towards me. I'm going to try and adjust the brightness using the menu. the contrast is nothing like in their pictures. This is the white and black display, looks blue doesn't it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

That's my prosport electric boost gauge with peak warning alarm mounted in the drivers side vent. I'm pretty proud of that one, it was not a simple install. After completely removing the air vent using a flat blade screw driver (first pop the flip up vents out, then you can use a screw driver to pry each clip up enough to pull the vent bezel and tube out.) i removed the chrome bezel from the plastic tube (also held with little clips. The I needed something thin to go between the bezel and tube so i used some plexiglass I had lying around. I first sanded down the plastic tube to remove some unwanted material and to give my plexiglass piece more room to fit, then I had to sand down the plexiglass as well because it was still to thick. A belt sander is highly recommended for this job.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the center vent panel?