Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hellion turbos

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hellion turbos

the pipes (down & exhaust) go below the k-member and with a lowered car you will encounter clearance problems with the ground
That scared me away from the Hellion because of where I live. I went with the Powerhouse411 system builtaround Garrett turbo. Still I have seen a Hellion and it looks marvellous and have heard only good things about the Hellion. Just the ground clearance issue for me.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

the ground clearance would be a complaint ofmine. where it goes under the k-member actually isn't an issue, but more where the exhaust pipe comes back under the header outlet pipes under the transmission. Mine seems to catch that a lot. I did lower the rear 1.5", the front is not lowered. In that respect, a supercharger would have been better. I wish i could try a whipple to know what that's like, but i can't complain about the turbo. As far as I know only fordfanboy has actually used both.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

My car is low and I live in an area where the roads are way below average and have a very bumpy ride too and from work so the Helion kit might be out of the question for me. Gonna have to look at HP performance and Powerhouse.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget TurboHorsepower, they make a very nice single kit.

Earl
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's not the bumps or cracks you have to worry about, it's the giant potholes.

ORIGINAL: Haze28

How much lowerdo the pipes sit past the K-member? I was planning on using this kit but I live in Chicago where the roads are some of the worst in the nation. I'd hate to have to worry about every bump and crack in the road when I drive.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pwny

Do the Hellion's produce a lot of heat in the engine bay? More than stock?
Of course it does.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

I'm not that worried about that, on most single turbo kits, it goes mounted between the engine and the fan/radiator, so most of the heat generated will be circulated around, hotter? yes but with the recirculation it should not poise a problem, actually if you want it cooler you could (if you get a BB unit) connect water lines that helps cool the body of the turbo (and prolong internal bearings life).

One thing that I'm thinking on is that a GT500 hood can help cool it down too pretty well because of the location of the working vents.

Every kit has its downs, pipe routing on the hellion, turbo lag on the STS, etc. add to that those sellers that also can let you down and the big money this things cost and it is a risky decision to make, I prefered the turbo route mainly because I plan to install a boost controller and have it dialed to few psi in low boost and give it the juice when I want to, and also to avoid the belt headache some superchargers are. The only supercharger where you could get both (that I've found so far) is the procharger, but also read many bad things about it so I decided to skip SC altogether and go turbo.

Spend wisely, we all have different needs (yes it is a need, don't tell my wife any different) so there are kits out there to please us better, if I had a car for the strip mainly I would go with the hellion (they almost had them in stock) or even the STS, but my need is different, that doesn't make them any better or any worse, read, ask and dig a lot of info prior to get into this.

Best of luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stage4

All forged, cobra crank, iron block. Rated at 950 rwhp, might as well use it.
i looked at your time, you need traction
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

yes i do. first and 2nd are a joke. ET streets are next on the list.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stage4

All forged, cobra crank, iron block. Rated at 950 rwhp, might as well use it.
But your not, you're stopping at 600...

Quick Reply: Hellion turbos