Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed spare tire from car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default Removed spare tire from car

Well I took my spare and my jack out of my trunk. To shave weight I guess. I only got a warning light for tire pressure low once when I started the car. I didn't notice it when I started it again after work, but will that warning come on everytime or should it stay off? Any of you guys remove your spares?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Removed spare tire from car

i removed mine and no light, it wont come on again probably. if you dont have kids you should consider taking out the back seats, should be around 100lbs all together and i think thats the same as adding 10hp, not bad for ten min. of work and no money spent.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

mine is out (got triple a) if I get a flat
05's dont have air pressure system
Old 11-17-2007, 06:11 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Well I had to put my spare tire back in. I got a flat the other day with my wife in my car, so I didn't have anyone to call to get my spare for me and bring it to me and I was like 30 miles out of town. So I had to use fix a flat and drive home slowly. Today I got a new tire put on. Stupid nail went thru the sidewall edge of the tire.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

IMO not worth the weight savings.... @ the track while u run ok...but not all the time
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I agree. Taking out the spare is not worth the head aches of waiting an hour for AAA to show up especially when you are far from home.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
CAL SPC 2007
1st Gear Member

Plus an hour is optimistic for AAA.

They blow, IMO.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

It's even worse when it's like, 1 am and you're having to call AAA for a tow/unlock/etc. when it's snowing outside.

I was in Denver visiting my dad back in 1996, and we'd pulled up to a bank to pull out money at the ATM. For some reason, their drive-up ATM wasn't working, so I hopped out to use the walk up. When I got done, I turned around to go back into the warmth of the truck, which my father had left running. He got out, shut the door, and the truck's locks automatically locked - thinking that someone was behind the wheel because the engine was still running. It was11pm at night, and snowing; we called AAA and got them to state that they were going to send someone out to help get us into the truck again. We waited until 12:00 and another phone call to AAA before AAA said, "I'm sorry, thetowing service isn't responding when we contact themto come out." We ended up using a snow ski to pryopen the pass-through window enough to pushthe clip holding itclosed off, then climbed in to where we could press the lock.

For reasons such as this, I recommend carrying the spare. If you go to the track, take it out there to help shave off some weight, but put it back when you're done, especially if it's a DD/weekend driver...You'll get the flat the one time that you need the tire.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I think only a moron would drive a car daily without a spare. If I want to loose a little weight, I'll take a big crap before I go anywhere.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I think only a moron would drive a car daily without a spare. If I want to loose a little weight, I'll take a big crap before I go anywhere.
lmao...

Quick Reply: Removed spare tire from car