Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the auto shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

Default Removing the auto shifter??

Can anyone tell me how to remove the auto shifter so that I can remove my centre console please.

I've bought a Kenwood DDX6019 and want to install it myself (some very good step by steps on how to do this type of thing but always with a manual gearbox).

Old 10-11-2007, 07:37 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing the auto shifter??

you dont have to remove the shifter, just the trim plate around it and it just pops up. It is held in with little clips, very easy to do. Pm me if you have ant more questions...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 AM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

IF you really want to remove the shifter, you have3 options...

1. Key in on position (car NOT running) and put gear into 1st (there's a philips screw you can undo on the far side of the shifter... towards the front of the car)
2. To the right hand side of the shifter, there's a small oblong(ish) thing you can pop out... THEN push the key into that piece, it will freeup the shifter to move (then unscrew the philips)
3. Don't unscrew the philips on the shifter, just unscrew the screws beneath the arm-rest, the trim-ring around the shifer itself pops off, brute force and ignorance will allow you to remove the center console
Old 10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
tjs2906
1st Gear Member

I installed my own stereo, it's a piece of cake. The ring around the shifter just pops off. Then there are 2 screw towards the back of the center console under the arm rest, take those out. The top half of the center console will snap off. The front if the console just snaps in. Then remove the right and left covers on either side of the stereo, they just snap off also. The center piece with all of the controls on is screwed in with 6 bolts, you need to remove 2 wire bundles on the back side towards the bottom of the panel (you have get down in the floor on each side to get them.) There is also 3 wires that need to be removed from the top of this panel. Carefully slide the panel out and away. The stereo is held in by 4 bolts and 2 or 3 wire bundles depending on which stereo you have. I can give much more detailed instructions if you want, just let me know. I'm actually at work right now. If there are any typo's, sorry I don't have time to read through this.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

Thank you guys - I'll try just popping the trim piece of first to see if I can rotate the console so the shifter goes through that space - if not I'll undo the phillips screw (I would maybe have found that but probably after a few hours of swearing at it first). The rest seems straightforward enough - hopefully crutchfield will deliver my wiring harness adapter tomorrow so I can do this at the weekend (I won't worry too much if they don't it just means I'll spend more time revising for my Mutual Funds exam (Tuesday) instead of tinkering with my baby for an afternoon), I do want to get it done soon though so I have it in before I put her away for the winter.

Thanks again guys - it's great to know people on here are so willing to share their knowledge.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

It's done!!!

The shifter bezel came out so easily I almost didn't believe it - everything went smoothly. The only thing that I must have messed up on is the automatic dimming when the headlights go on (connected to the bluey grey & yellow wire on the plug to the hazard switch) maybe I got the wrong wire or it's because of my daytime running lights that it gives a different power signal than the US cars. I'm not too bothered by it anyway, the car is mainly a summer toy & only gets 5000km's on each year - I'll take another look in the spring when I add a rear view camera.

I forgot to take my camera with me but I'll get a pic on here soon.

Thanks again guys for the advice.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

glad to hear it went well...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UK PONY

It's done!!!

The shifter bezel came out so easily I almost didn't believe it - everything went smoothly. The only thing that I must have messed up on is the automatic dimming when the headlights go on (connected to the bluey grey & yellow wire on the plug to the hazard switch) maybe I got the wrong wire or it's because of my daytime running lights that it gives a different power signal than the US cars. I'm not too bothered by it anyway, the car is mainly a summer toy & only gets 5000km's on each year - I'll take another look in the spring when I add a rear view camera.
rear view camera so you can watch the other guy losing?

Nice to hear you guys don't fear tearing into your ponies... I'm still unsure about what I want to do myself...

I'm gonna tackle the side rockers this spring...

After I've seen some of the idiots at the local shops and heard all the horror stories on the boards, I'm starting to figure "How bad could IF it up?" at least I work for free...

[8D]