Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IUP Cluster Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Default IUP Cluster Questions

Here is my quick scenario. I've have a 06 GT 5spd Deluxe, base everything. I wanted to upgrade to the IUP cluster (Mycolor, travel computer..etc). I've purchased a cluster off Ebay from a salvaged 06 GT, not sure if its a 5spd/Auto, or if that even makes a difference. I also purchased the switch assembly from the dealership. Plugged it all in and everything works. But the mileage of course is wrong.

So here is my dilema. I talked to two dealerships. Both dealers, stated that it would be no problem. That they send the cluster to a company (Name Unknown) with the exact mileage that needs to be programmed on there. Now I have the parts. Call them again. This time they confirmed with company X that the only way they will do this upgrade, is if I purchase the cluster through them. So basically I have a useless cluster now. So I called back, and of course get someone different. I've asked both dealers, who was the company they talked to to confirm this. Nobody can tell me who that company is. They did direct me to Royal Radio, called them, they stated they only deal in radios. Imagine that.

So my question for anyone who can answer, is how I do get that cluster programmed for my car? Or is it useless? I know how to install it. Its funny the dealer was quoting me 1-2 hours to install it. I had it out in less than 10 minutes.

Its just frustrating. I contract to Ford and its no surprise how people can't get the information they need, internally or externally. I also asked them if I used the new cluster with the wrong mileage, take it in for service, acknowledge its not the correct mileage, will it void my warranty. The service manager couldn't even answer that. Not that I would go this route, but if I did.

I come to these boards for information the blue oval pros can't answer. So any help or info anyone could provide would be awesome
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: IUP Cluster Questions

Contact one of the companies that sells the clusters and see how they get the correct mileage on a new one they sell...or better yet ask one of the tuners
Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Well I've talked to the two companies Ford deals with. RT Grim & Electra-Sound. Neither one would deal with me as a customer. They only work with dealerships.

So started digging, figured if I could get a wiring diagram of the harness I could simulate the pulses, like I would with a EPROM tool. But its just not worth it due to Federal laws against mileage fraud.

I found two companies in VA that will do the mileage update, as long as I provide proof of mileage, and sign a affidavit which would certify the mileage is correct. Completely legal and the cost is $160. The other company wanted $350 which is just nuts.

So for anyone considering doing this mod, it would be $160 and whatever you paid for the parts, either junkyard, or through Ford.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

wow
what a P I T A

Im glad mine came with it!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I amd many others did the upgrade before, Ed from Millenium ford order the new clusters with the new mileage in them. How much is the mileage off. As long as when you sell the car you reveal the actual mileage or dont try to get warranty work done you are not going to violate any law. I would just stick with the new mileage whatever it is and save the money.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I thought the mileage was stored in the computer not the instrument cluster. Maybe, I'm wrong.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

I would just swap the clusters but my car is still under warranty so I won't mess with it. I'll pay the $160 to get the new cluster programmed. I'm not worried about that. I'm just p'oed at Ford in how they scalp you on this. Its a high price for changing colors on my gauges, but just like how everyone else justifies it, "I want" will do.

As I understand, the mileage is actually stored in the cluster. But I have to imagine there is some kind of information stored on it that signifies it belongs to your VIN or something. Otherwise it would be just too easy to fraud mileage. The new one I got has 8800 miles while I have 28000 on my car.