Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas cap signal light

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Titostang
1st Gear Member

Default Gas cap signal light

the gas cap light thing is on under the speedometer. what could be wrong? i twist the cap until it clicks or w/e and nothin seems wrong. kinda pissed somethings wrong only have in it for a week. any ideas? do i have to go to the dealer? i dont want to drive it becuase it might mess up the computer on it....... bummer. thanks for help
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 AM
am1scott

Default RE: Gas cap signal light

Retry it several times, maybe even try smearing a light coat of grease or vaseline or something similar on the rubber seal. I've had 2 new cars do that in the past. It's just the seal not making good contact until it "breaks in" a bit.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Wonder if thats a pressure sensitive switch, that comes on if the tank doesn't build enough pressure?? I have only ran three tanks of gas in my 05. Both times I filled it up, it doesn't want to take fuel very well. The pump keeps kicking off, a real pain in the a$$.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Titostang
1st Gear Member

yeah higgie that happened to me too. and thats right before the gas cap thing came on.... hmmmm
Old 02-24-2005, 02:00 PM
am1scott

That problem is with the gas tank itself. The internal design causes too much fuel vapor to build up and it causes some gas pumps to shut off prematurely. The is a TSB out that advises replacement of the gas tank with a new, updated design that does not have that problem.
TSB 05-4-8
ISSUE:
Some 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit the fuel tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may be described as, repeated rapid shutoffs of the filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle shutoffs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

ACTION:
Install a new fuel tank. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling. Remove the fuel tank assembly per Section 310-01 of the Workshop Manual.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

As far as the gas cap is concerned, when the seal does not seal properly it causes does not allow enough pressure to build in the tank and causes the sensors to trip the warning light. Similar problems but unrelated.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Titostang
1st Gear Member

i mean i cant imagine what im doing wrong? i turn it until it "cranks" or w/e and is locked. if i "crank" it too many times does that mess it up? this is frustrating. and can i still drive it or will it mess up my comp system? thanks for the help
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Titostang
1st Gear Member

i think i might need a new gas cap
Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM
am1scott

I'm sure it's not you that's doing anything wrong. It's just how some cars are. I had one car that you were supposed to turn the cap till it clicked once, the next car three clicks. I didn't realize that and only turned it one click and had the problem you have. I took it off and put it back on and that time turned it 3 clicks, problem solved. It did happen one other time about a week later though. That's when I learned the trick about putting some sort of lube on the gas cap seal. It shouldn't harm anything on the car to drive it temporarily like that, but it's never a good idea to drive with a warning light on for long. Might not be a bad idea to take it to the dealer and have them check it out. There is always the possibility of a defective gas cap.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget, if it's closer, your local Pep Boys or auto Zone can plug-in a ODBII reader. Get the code and clear the code too. They don't charge for it either. Then, if it comes back, go to the dealer.

Dave...