Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decarbonizing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Decarbonizing Engine

So, as I've detailed in another post on this forum, I think I am getting some pinging under wide open throttle. I have ruled out running lean or the timing as the culprits. I am not totally convinced what I am hearing is pinging, butmy last troubleshooting step is to make sure my problem is not excessive carbon deposits (my mail order tune may have been running rich and my car idled a lot while warming up over the winter).

I am going to be using one of the Seafoam/Techron/etc products. Would you recommend I use it in the intake, gas tank, AND oil? What would be best to achieve the results I am looking for (hopefully, no pinging)? I was going to change the oil soon too, but I've read you need to change the oil after 500 miles if you use it in your oil.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Decarbonizing Engine

I have no recommendation.... Sea foam seems to be best but must be done correctly.

Anyways, I seem to get pinging under WOT also, and I definately get it on cold startup. It stinks.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

i've used seafoam, and go for 1/3 gas tank, 1/3 crankcase (change oil after a week or less than 50-100 miles), 1/3 sucked into intake.

follow the instructions on the can and you should be good.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yep...im picking some seafoam up this week
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Can someone explain exactly what this stuff does? Seems a bit involved if you have to follow the directions precisely. Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 11:50 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JGT
I am going to be using one of the Seafoam/Techron/etc products. Would you recommend I use it in the intake, gas tank, AND oil? What would be best to achieve the results I am looking for (hopefully, no pinging)? I was going to change the oil soon too, but I've read you need to change the oil after 500 miles if you use it in your oil.
Ibelieve Techron is only to be used in the gas tank. Putting it into your TB directly might result in fuel injector o-ring damage due to high concentration of it. It happened to a buddy of mine that used the one for a 20 gallon tank with 3 gallons or so. Seafoam does not sell much where I work at so I'm guessing it's not the best product out there. The one you could use in the gas tank AND the oil though (and the one actually recommended for it) would be Marvel Mystery Oil. It comes in a dark red bottle with a black sticker and a black cap. If I were you, I'd use Techron for the gas tank and Marvel for the engine oil. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...hlight=seafoam

Seafoam.....i saw this and it convinced me...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Haven't some people had trouble with seafoam? I can not find the thread. It kind of sounds like a good idea. I'm in the middle of searching/researching this stuff. I'd appreciate any input from people who have used it.

Sleeper2
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: JGT

So, as I've detailed in another post on this forum, I think I am getting some pinging under wide open throttle. I have ruled out running lean or the timing as the culprits. I am not totally convinced what I am hearing is pinging, butmy last troubleshooting step is to make sure my problem is not excessive carbon deposits (my mail order tune may have been running rich and my car idled a lot while warming up over the winter).

Does it sound like a couple pebbles in a coffee can when you accelerate hard? If it does, then that is pinging. It can be caused a ton of things although carbon deposits on such a new car shouldn't be the issue. I have over 110K on my car and only have recently run into pining and that was due to some chitty gas.

Check your plugs first and foremost. I've read both on this forum and other articles that the spark plug design and the way they are placed into the motor are notorious for encouraging build-up on the plugs themselves, not the valves or combustion chamber edges where most true carbon deposits build up and where you would use seafoam. Are your exhaust tips really sooty? That's a tell-tale sign you were running rich and where seafoam may prove useful.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I tried to find as many threads as possible on it and not many came up....didnt find anyone that had troubles with it though.....would be good ro read that one if you can find it.

Quick Reply: Decarbonizing Engine