Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOuld it work for our mustangs skip shift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WOuld it work for our mustangs skip shift?

v6 mod saves gas
Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alloutt
v6 mod saves gas
what about the anti-lead foot mod (a kind police officer can give you this mod)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ok, the reason the corvette has this skip-shift feature from 1 to 4 is because IT CAN. it has so much freakin' torque that it can accelerate just fine in 4th gear, which is a 1:1 gear just like our 4th gear (corvette has 2 overdrive gears if i'm not mistaken). unless you're s/c, you probably won't have enough torque in 4th gear to make it save any gas...you'll just bog the car, or burn up too much gas by revving too high in 1st. now a 1st to 3rd shift may indeed save you some gas. as was said above, 1-3-5 is a good mpg shifting pattern that will probably save you a few mpg.

but at the end of the day, is the inconvenience caused by remembering to shift 1-3-5 really worth the few extra $$ you save at the pump? especially when you'll be accelerating as slow as a grandma? i'd argue not...just stick with the 1-2-3-4-5 normal pattern but shift at 2k in each gear like the manual recommends. shift outta 1st at 10mph, outta 2nd at 20mph, outta 3rd at 30mph, and outta 4th into 5th at 40mph. that will probably do just as well.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 AM
viza
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

Our 07 vette has this skip shift feature that forces you to shift from 1st into 4th and it saves on gas....would it work for our mustangs, skipping into 4th?
first won't get you fast enough to get you into the power band for 4th. 2nd will tho. I do it all the time. I accelerate to ~60 in second and shift right into 4th/5th when getting on the highway if the onramp is empty 8) It's about the only place outside of the track you can legally do that ROFL. That's why our cars can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds, you only need to shift once and that is one long gear.

-Viz

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: s2k

Our 07 vette has this skip shift feature that forces you to shift from 1st into 4th and it saves on gas....would it work for our mustangs, skipping into 4th?
It started with the ZR1, there is nothing wrong with shifting from 1st to 3rd or 4th depending on the rear gears. When I'm going for the best MPG I shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th.;
+1 been doing that for years....
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

I like how it locks out 2 d and makes you go into 4th
Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

If your asking if you can drive your stang that way... yes you can. Will it help you save gas? nope. You'll be running 1st out far too high and then lugging 4th and making the engine work too hard to keep you going,
Actually it will save gas. You don't need to rev it that high to shift to 4th. Will I do it? No. Just go from 1to3 if you want to save some gas. Personally I didn't buy this car with MPG in mind though.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

CAGS= Computer Aided Gear Selection, aka "skip shift". In short, GM's easy way satisfying the government, avoiding the gas guzzler tax. GM always said it would NEVER sell a car, especially the Corvette, that would be deemed a gas guzzler. I believe this was added to Vettes since 1989 w/ the introduction of the 6 spd ZF manual transmission, and is on Vettes to this day. There are "kits" a dummy sensor you plug in at the trans, and it "fakes out" the OBD2 cars, or else it will throw a code. On OBD1 cars, it just plugs in and the car doesn't see it. The other wire you just tuck up under the car with zip ties, OR with an LS(x) car, it can be simply eliminated via a tune.(LS1 Edit, or EFI Live) I'm not sure about the LT1/4 cars..

Trust me, its real annoying! If conditions are right, you CANNOT move the shifter from 1st to 2nd, it goes right to 4th gear!!!

Conditions are a certain engine temp (cold), under a certain mph, and under a certain rpm (can't remember the details) it kicks in.

Even without it, my 2000 6 spd manual Vette was getting 27 mpg on the highway!!!

I don't think it would help Mustangs, its more of a technicality thing. Its ususally when you're cruising around town it kicks in, and shifting out of first under 2k rpm's I think driving habits affect the mpg of the car more so than the CAGS
Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 PM
bluegill
1st Gear Member

I had a '98 LS1 Firebird with the 6 speed, it was a retarded pain in the ***. A really cheap way to bypass it is to take off in second gear-completely disables the skip shift. 1st gear on those cars and I assume the 'Vette, is a granny gear. Those LS1's have plenty of torque, unless your drag racing you don't need it for everyday driving.I drove that car 2-4-6. It was like driving an old fashioned wide ratio 3 speed. Going through 6 gearsafter every light gets real old in stop andgo traffic. I got 22-23 MPG city and 30 MPG highway.

I drive my 5 speed GT 2-3-5.I don't use 1st gear for everday driving for the same reason. However, unlike the F-Body, I do have to use1st with the A/C on and starting outgoing uphill, otherwise you sometimes end up riding the clutch a bit.Iget 20 MPG city and 27-28 MPG highway.

I really doubt you would see any positive change in mileage driving 1st to 4th. The 3Vengines torque band just wouldn't be comfortable doing it with out winding it out in 1st - kinda self defeating... It was iffy with the LS1 F-Body, and that car had more low and midrange torque than our cars.

Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

I know alot of times, I just go from 2-4-5 unless im in a fast accel mod

Quick Reply: WOuld it work for our mustangs skip shift?