Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle sound at WOT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Rattle sound at WOT!

A friend of mine has a 05 GT and put on a CAI with out a tune and ran it for about 3 months, he finally got the diablo and loaded the canned tune! Before the tune his car was a dog! It bogged in first and second unless it was 70 degrees out or colder! Now that he has the tune his car is now the Big Dog, the tune did wonders even the canned tune at that! The problem is he let me drive it to get a feel for the tune and during WOT there is a rattle coming from the pass. front lower area of the car! I gave him my thought which is i think he burnt out his cat or cats running the cai with no tune! He is not getting a error code just a god awfull rattle between 4 and 6 grand on the tach! Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rattle sound at WOT!

Sure it's not pinging you are hearing, at WOT??
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Positive on the rattle~ I think. He was riding shot gun while i drove his car! I heard it very well and in my opinion, it was not pinging. It sounded like a loose muffler clamp or something of that nature! I told him to try a different tune, but after driving 3 months withjust a cai and actually running the car lean, he feels like he is the king of the road! We parked the car and he crawled under it while i reved her up a little, we didnthear anything, only happens under a load!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

pinging.....

if only at WOT 4K+ it probable pinging.....what is the tunes oct and what oct is in the car?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

All i know is that he is running the 93 tune and 93 oct. He has had the tune in for about 2 weeks now. He said he has filled her up 3 times. He does a lot of highway driving! Maybe it is 92 and 92, He said is was the performance race tune from the diablo~, not sure what oct that is.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

is the tune just the performance tune in the diablo or does it account the CAI....i am thinking he just loaded the 93 tune which is not accounting for the CAI....thus he is probably even leaning than before and he is trying to get more out of the engine with the tune also....kinda of a combination of problems
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

I'm having the EXACT same problem to the T. In between 4-6k, sounds like a loose exhaust clamp. I installed my exhast myself, so I just figured I didn't tighten enough. I hope its not pinging[&o]
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

I will ask him in the morning, what and how he loaded the tune. Wish i was there when he loaded the tune! Would be able to answer those questions! Makes sense though! Just pinging seemes a little light in sound compared to what we heard! It had no pattern other than happening between 4 and 6 grand under load. I have heard some pretty bad pinging in older cars but i have yet to hear it on these! Always time for a first i guess!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

There is a TSB for the exhaust hanger isolators causing a rattle. Resolved by putting a hose clamp around the isolators.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

any update yet?

Quick Reply: Rattle sound at WOT!