Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New One - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default New One - Help!!

Don't think I've read this here before - My 2006 GT vert has ants! I live in South Florida. I noticed a few black ants on the ouside of the car (it is silver) about a week ago. I washed them off with a hose - thought I was done. Next day, they are back. Haven't seen any inside the car but some under the hood near the windshield wiper area - seems they are going in there. My wife parks next to me and has no ants. I have never eaten or carried food in the car. I don't park under trees at work and park in different spaces every day.

This has been going on for about 10 days now. I am afraid they will make a nest or something and then I will really be in trouble. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any advise?

What I have done: I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought 8 ant bait traps and placed (taped)them around the outside of the car, in the trunkand inside the hood (in an area away from the engine (I drive 1.2 miles to work so heat should not be a problem). I also bought a gel that ants eat and placed it on small pieces of cardboard taped to different places under the hood. I noticed some on top of the vinyl roof so I even put one up there last night - overnight. Like I said, I haven't seen any inside the car compartment or trunk yet but I am trying to eliminate them if possible.

This is my first day doing this so I hope it works.

The only thing I can think of is that I used a Meguires soap to wash the car lately (for the past 5-6 times) and last time I used a bit more than usual in the mix with water. It has a sweet fragrance. Could this be the cause?

I don't know - I am totally confused.

Any help, tips, experience or possible causes are appreciated. The only thing I won't do is spray or use a "bomb"

Thanks for any help!!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New One - Help!!

when i first got my 2007 i notices some ants inside my car and i squished them and never seen any again
Old 10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Switch to another soap and wash the stang realy good ... see what happens the following day... OR you can wash your wifes car with the sweet stuff and see if the ants move over to her car ---[8D] ~ J
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

During the summer time at my work there is an area in our lot thats near grass. These spots usually get ants in the cars parked there. We park them out in the middle of the parking lot for a few hours where there is only assfault around. They clear out by themselves. Are you parking near any grass?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I know this sounds nuts, but in my experience, ants are repelled by cinnamon. I had an ant invasion in my house years ago and sprinkled cinnamon on the door jambs, vents, etc. and it worked. Cheap, non-toxic, and tasty.. maybe sprinkle a perimeter around the car?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:41 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Don't think I've read this here before - My 2006 GT vert has ants! I live in South Florida. I noticed a few black ants on the ouside of the car (it is silver) about a week ago. I washed them off with a hose - thought I was done. Next day, they are back. Haven't seen any inside the car but some under the hood near the windshield wiper area - seems they are going in there. My wife parks next to me and has no ants. I have never eaten or carried food in the car. I don't park under trees at work and park in different spaces every day.

This has been going on for about 10 days now. I am afraid they will make a nest or something and then I will really be in trouble. Has anyone dealt with this before or have any advise?

What I have done: I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought 8 ant bait traps and placed (taped)them around the outside of the car, in the trunkand inside the hood (in an area away from the engine (I drive 1.2 miles to work so heat should not be a problem). I also bought a gel that ants eat and placed it on small pieces of cardboard taped to different places under the hood. I noticed some on top of the vinyl roof so I even put one up there last night - overnight. Like I said, I haven't seen any inside the car compartment or trunk yet but I am trying to eliminate them if possible.

This is my first day doing this so I hope it works.

The only thing I can think of is that I used a Meguires soap to wash the car lately (for the past 5-6 times) and last time I used a bit more than usual in the mix with water. It has a sweet fragrance. Could this be the cause?

I don't know - I am totally confused.

Any help, tips, experience or possible causes are appreciated. The only thing I won't do is spray or use a "bomb"

Thanks for any help!!
wait...your wife parks next to you?are you male or female?

my advice - change soap/wax. use something with no frangrance, i guarantee that will help. ants are only on your car because of the sweet frangrance...especially if there is no food in your car. wash it and wax it using non-scented stuff and your problem is gone...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Raise their rent 'til they pack up and leave...

How are they getting into your Stang? Assuming the tires, spray repellent where the rubber meets the driveway after whatever method gets them out of the vehicle. Sounds like you may have to occasionaly spray the perimeter of your driveway.

Just goes to show that even ants have good taste...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM
jwbrown21
2nd Gear Member

I hear that human **** is a natural repelant.. dont know if you wanna try that on the car.. but hey.....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
theresa
4th Gear Member

We use to get ants on our walkway and driveway. Isprinkled some cornmeal in the area.
They will take it back to their nest. It kills them because they can't digest it. Try putting
some in a shallow container where you see them. Good Luck !
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Ford Mustang----Ford Mustant Maybe they can't read??? I heard hot pepper powder works too.