Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?

Now that I think about it, Clarkson did review a Roush S197 and had a huge freakin' grin on his face the whole time. He said and I quote "you can reeeaaalllyyy tell that this car was built by someone who knows race cars".

So there, a live axle ain't all that bad, even in Clarkson's eyes. But you guys are right, it's cheaper and don't break. Good points.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 PM
JCD89

Awww. Is it possible to "convert" it to a IRS setup? Anybody do that before?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

just get a "Saleen watts link" and you'll be fine

IRS is overrated
remember "Occam's razor" the Live axle may be of older design but it works very well
Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Blah, blah blah... Let 'em say whatever they want. Watch some of the road race competitions, Mustangs are at the top, you'll see them beating BMWs and Porches. If I had an IRS I'd be wanting a solid rear axel for drag anyway. Plus ours comes stock 8.8" 31 spline (GT). I'm very happy with what ford did. Even the LSD is holding up very well for me and doing its job. -Joe
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer
Blah, blah blah... Let 'em say whatever they want. Watch some of the road race competitions, Mustangs are at the top, you'll see them beating BMWs and Porches. If I had an IRS I'd be wanting a solid rear axel for drag anyway. Plus ours comes stock 8.8" 31 spline (GT). I'm very happy with what ford did. Even the LSD is holding up very well for me and doing its job. -Joe
+1 but I'd like to have a ford 9" instead of 8.8"
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I believe Richard Hammond's exact words from Top Gear was that our rear axles are as sophisticated as a telegraph pole. But even he admitted that it does work well.

Top Gear is very anti-American. The ONLY car of ours that I've seen them praise is the Ford GT. Pretty much everything else, including the Corvette Z06, Dodge Viper, Mustang GT500, they had something bad to say about.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli
I believe Richard Hammond's exact words from Top Gear was that our rear axles are as sophisticated as a telegraph pole. But even he admitted that it does work well.

Top Gear is very anti-American. The ONLY car of ours that I've seen them praise is the Ford GT. Pretty much everything else, including the Corvette Z06, Dodge Viper, Mustang GT500, they had something bad to say about.
Clarkson bought a "Ford GT" but the alarm went crazy all the time so he sold it for a Lambo
and Hammond bought an old school camaro (don't know what happend to it he might still have it but hasn't mentioned it)
Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JCD89

Awww. Is it possible to "convert" it to a IRS setup? Anybody do that before?
Yes, there is an outfit out there that makes an independant rear for our stang. (dont know the name of em off the top of my head)

One a side note, It was asked why Ford didnt put an independant rear in the new stangs. The claim it would be more costly and add more weight. (dont shoot me, Im just the messenger) [sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Some of the Euro snobs think that it's a really bad thing. They also don't drag race their cars so their IRS don't break. They also ALWAYS test Mustangs in stock form and we all know that's not really fair.
With the right parts, a live axle vehicle can handle just as well as their IRS setups. They just won't ever admit that and keep testing raw form (stock) cars against their euro crap
You're funny

Testing in stock form? Yea, that's a henious crime right there, because nobody needs to know how a stock car handles right ?

No, they don't all drag race their cars, they find more fun in testing themselves as well as their cars by [wait for it] Turning the steering wheel ! Horror!!!

With the right parts, a live axle vehicle can handle just as well as their IRS setups.
NEVER in a month of Sundays

Euro Snobs? Euro crap? Geez, you salute your flag every day right? LOL You seriously need to widen your perception Dude
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Hammond bought an old school camaro
Cool, a Camaro as well, he also hasa 60'sMustang he was driving on one show I like the Hamster the most...

Quick Reply: I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?